transplanted

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Dibs

transplanted

Post by Dibs »

Well it's happened. I telephoned Southmead on Monday 20/2 as I was due to see them for the first time since I went on the list two years ago. The only time I have spoken to them in that time was to order more blood sample tubes. They said it wasn't worth discussing that as they might have a kidney for me, but they would call me back. That gave me chance to tell my work colleagues that I might be disappearing for few weeks and sure enough they rang back to say that I should make my way to Bristol. I work about 30 minutes from home by bus. So I went home, packed, caught the bus back and was planning to catch a train to Bristol. However, it happened that my son's lecturer hadn't turned up at college and he was available to drive me there. That was probably just as well from a time point of view.

Once in hospital, there was concern over some dental problems I had recently been having. My temperature was a little high and so it depended on my blood results as to whether an infection might scupper things. The results showed a slight infection, but not enough to stop the op. I eventually went down to theatre at eight in the evening, some ten hours after the call. When I came round in recovery at around midnight, I asked them to ring my wife as I knew she wouldn't be able to sleep without hearing how it had gone.

I slept ok that first night, even with all the tubes and wires. I was passing bloodied urine into the bag, so I could see something happening. The tubes and wires disappeared over the next few days and the urine cleared. I suffered very little pain, except when I moved. The toothache I had been having was more painful than the kidney transplant. On the Friday they moved me to a private room and removed the last of the tubes. The blood tests were improving and I was able to urinate in a controlled fashion, so they discharged me on the Saturday afternoon. I thought the nursing staff were brilliant.

Since then I have been going to Exeter three times a week. My creatinine has come down from over 700 pre-op to 165. I've walked to the pub for a pint. I'd like to start a staggered return to work next week, it's a desk job. I know things can still go wrong, but I feel very lucky.
Pinkdiamonds14

Re: transplanted

Post by Pinkdiamonds14 »

Congratulations Dibs, so very pleased for you. Glad you got the call so soon after the last one, proves you made the right decision. Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope all continues to progress well, keep us updated as it's so uplifting to read positive stories. Enjoy your freedom! Best wishes.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Best wishes.
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Fantastic news Dibs! So pleased for you. :)
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

So pleased for you.
Hope all continues to go so well.

Best wishes
Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Dibs

Post by Dibs »

Thanks for the support. Since my post, the blood tests have fluctuated a little but not shown any overall improvement. The medical team have thought about an ultrasound scan, but decided against it for now. My Tacro readings have meant a slight reduction in that drug. I'm not in any pain though and getting my mobility back. I'm still on three visits a week to hospital.
Rik

Post by Rik »

Dibs ...
it's really great news!!
long may your partnership reign!!
have you named it??
some of us do...
keats and I are coming up to 15 years partnership this june