Orb & Elaine

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Elaine

Hiya Orb ;)

Post by Elaine »

Hello Orb have just seen u post. Good luck 2 u my daughter has been on peritoneal dialysis 17mnths now she is 16. She had to giv up a part-time job prior to starting dialyis and was sad about this :cry: but knew she couldn't cope at the time and her employers have been very understanding. They have even kept her job open if when shes able to restart 1 day :lol: It has affected her school work quite dramatically having repeated first yr GCSE exams etc too. But has part -time tutoring and part time school to compensate as and when she is able to.

Suppose evey1 affected differently by dialyis some people manage work part-time others' full or not at all. Until u start dialyis u don't really know how it will affect u. But most people usually feel better once started on dialyis to reduce toxins etc. :wink: Maybe u employers will be understanding and not want to lose an employee so part-time might be a good option until u can reassess your situation etc. :wink:

Good luck and best wishes to you im sure you will have plenty questions etc whizzin round u head. This board has lots info u may find useful also National Kidney Association.

Elaine UK :roll:
Orb

Thanxs, Elaine

Post by Orb »

Comforting reply. It is the underknown that worries us, isn't it? Once something has happened you can learn to cope and progress, but waiting in not satisfactory.

I didn't say in my introduction, I am a doctor myself. A senior traineee in histopathology (the docotrs who process the biopsies). I have officailly gone part-time as of next week. I feel relieved, actually, but can't help feel a little guilty/sorry for the extra work it puts on my others trainee collegues/ friends. Silly, I know. Still, I think its good news, for a change.

Reading this back, I must add I am actually more :D than its reads! Its the weekend. Any football on??
Elaine

Orb ;)

Post by Elaine »

Glad u found my reply comforting 4 u ;)

What a very worthwhile job u do need all those biopsies etc diagnosed etc :lol: I myself work as a staff nurse within NHS so have quite an insight into all worthwhile work u do. :) Sometimes though quite hard to be workin in an environment that is 'so close 2 home' at times though. :?

My daughter having bi- nephrectomy in 4 wks time cos excessive proteinurea so just waiting now til the next step!!! Least we can get her bak on transplant wait list soon then?? (fsgs n/syndrome)

Nice 2 hear from u take care Elaine UK ;)

Yeh football this wkend !! any xcuse for a knees up eh?? LOL :roll: