Was I right to 'chicken' out?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Dibs

Was I right to 'chicken' out?

Post by Dibs »

Two days ago I had phone call from my consultant. He said that there was a kidney available, but there had been some complications prior to the donor's death. He said that it was unusual for the transplant team to go via him rather than direct to me. The fact that he himself had some reservations made my refusal easier, but I guess we'll never know whether it was the right thing to do.

When I asked to go on the transplant list a couple of years ago, I thought the choices were basically DBD or DCD or ECD. At that stage I said I'd take anything as I was hoping to avoid dialysis. I've been on APD for a year now and am told I'm coping well. I recently had a form from the transplant team asking for preferences again. This time the choices appear to be DBD/DCD or ECD or dual kidney. My initial thought was to say I'll take anything again, but after the recent phone call, I changed it to DBD/DCD.

I realise that I wouldn't be on the transplant list if I didn't need a new kidney. So I was wondering how fussy other people are when they get asked the question "Do you want this kidney?"
wagolynn

Re: Was I right to 'chicken' out?

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Dibs,
If there was something not right about the kidney, then I see no problem in saying no thank you.
When all is said, and done, it is you that will have to live with the aftermath.

I am surprised that the transplant team did not talk you through the issues, to make a choice of that sort I would want all the available facts, and opinions.

Best wishes, and a happy new year.
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

What a difficult position to be in.
From what you have said I suspect you made the right decision.

We all want any new kidney to last as long as possible. Second and third transplants become much trickier matches due to antibodies. I think if my consultant (whom I trust implicitly ) had reservations, so would I.
I was very lucky to get a perfect match DBD transplant from someone 10 years younger than me. It has been fantastic.

Can I just ask - what's an ECD transplant?

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Dylanmace

Post by Dylanmace »

I think you made the right descions my friend there is no chicken about it
Do not be down beat , that's gunna do you no good
Dibs

Post by Dibs »

SKM23435 wrote:What a difficult position to be in.
We all want any new kidney to last as long as possible. Second and third transplants become much trickier matches due to antibodies. I think if my consultant (whom I trust implicitly ) had reservations, so would I.

Can I just ask - what's an ECD transplant?
Sue
Hi Sue.

The difficulty matching for a second transplant was one of the things my consultant talked about.

Expanded Criteria Donation is one where there might have been some medical problems with the donor.
suz

Post by suz »

Hi Dibs
I too refused a kidney just a few months after starting dialysis. My consultant phoned me to say there was a kidney available but he had some concerns due to the deceased donors health and the circumstances regarding their death.

I waited another 4 years before I received a transplant, nearly 3 years ago and have never had any regrets about refusing the first offer.

All the best
Suz
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I think you were absolutely right to refuse the kidney. Don't beat yourself up about it. I wonder if anyone else refused it as well.