Any of you suffers from chronic halitosis?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Ana

Any of you suffers from chronic halitosis?

Post by Ana »

Hello everyone
Im Ana, and im 24 years old
i had my kidney transplant 25/06/2010
At 2012 i started having a bad taste at my mouth/throat and bad breath
I went to a dentist , my teeth and gums are fine
i have no tongue coating
i went to ent, sinus,tonsils everything was fine
i did a gastroscopy, no helicobacter pylori, no acid reflux
my kidney is going okay.
i dont know what to do anymore
my doctor said that it could be the medicines who get expelled through my breath
or the low immune system who makes the normal bacteria that everyone has in the mouth, grow excessively

any of you had this problem.
im so sad because of this, i cant enjoy the few years of freedom the kidney gives to me.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Re: Any of you suffers from chronic halitosis?

Post by JMan »

Perhaps something you could Crosspost onto some of the Facebook groups..

I know some drugs can give bad breath, either a bitter smell or similar..
Carbo

Re: Any of you suffers from chronic halitosis?

Post by Carbo »

Hi Ana,

I have had bouts of unexplained bad breath since my transplant also. I never figured out the cause either but guessed it may have been from extra bacterial growth from the meds. I have found a solution though. I use a mouthwash called Thera Breath and it works quite well. I am in North America so not sure if it is available where you are. You could always order it online I guess if you wanted to try it out. It doesn't contain alcohol so perhaps other non-alcohol based mouthwashes may work similarly. Anyway, it has been a life-saver for me.