IgA nephropathy troubles

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

sarthak

Re: IgA nephropathy troubles

Post by sarthak »

Hi All ,

I wanted to share my experiences with all of you.
I am a 29 year old male from india currently working in singapore.
I was diagnosed with IGAN 1 year back , and the creatinine and protein levels were bit high but always stale i was on pills that were helping me in controlling my BP.(dont remember the name)

protein in 24hrs : 300 - 500
creatinine : 1.2 - 1.4
potassium : 5.0

but two months back when i got my reports there was a huge change in the numbers are now the doctors said that its very alarming.

protein in 24hrs : 3000
creatinine : 1.72
potassium : 5.5

so i got a bit tensed and started searching for all that i could do to help my kidney get better, i even read the blog by Jon Staniforth's i though that lets give it(fuma natural) a try ,
i also introduced yoga (kapalbhati) in my daily routine , and a strict diet plan .

I dont know what has helped me but yesterday i got my reports and now my numbers are as follows

protein in 24hrs : nill
creatinine : 1.64
potassium : 5.1

i will be getting my tests done every month and share the results with you.
lets see what happens next .
PolarBoy

Post by PolarBoy »

Thanks for the links :)

Has anyone read the reserchpapers on mice. Very promising stuff.
Are we years from potential human trials?

IgA1 Protease Treatment Reverses Mesangial Deposits and Hematuria in a Model of IgA Nephropathy
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26850635
kathg

Post by kathg »

Hi
I am new here and newly diagnosed with Iga nephropathy in April 2016.
I too was scared to death because I already had high blood pressure ,high levels of protein and blood in my urine. I had very bad flank pain and was tired all the time.
I saw nephrologist in April 2016 and he diagnosed Iga and started me on meds asap.
I am currently on losartin, chlorathalidone and spironolactone. It took some juggling to get the
right combination. By July my bp was lower, normal protein and very little blood in urine. I was the told I achieved remission which was great but no great answers on how long remission would last.
The biggest frustration is all the well intented advice from people doing their own research. I asked my nephrologist about natural supplements, vegetarian diets and low protein diet. His answer to me was actually very simple. No protein in your diet is wrong just lean proteins, vegetarian diets are ok but too difficult to get all nutrients you need , natural supplements are not regulated and can interact with your prescribed meds. He also said remember it is the filters that ha ve the
problem so remember anything you ingest gets filtered so choose healrhy options and be mindful.