Chronic pain after stent removal

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Moot444

Chronic pain after stent removal

Post by Moot444 »

Hey all. I'm 58 and female. It's my first time here and I'm looking for helpful suggestions. A quick synapsis: I was diagnosed and cured of hyper parathyroidism a year and 3 months ago. Then, when the kidney stones started a year ago, I was diagnosed with hypercalciuria. I had my first stent placed 2 months ago (had it in for 2 weeks)....I thought I was going to die! the pain was so bad I begged the doctor to put the @&$# stone back where it was a take the stent out! The drs. said my severe spasms were not unheard of, but the depth of my pain was unusual. The worst 2 weeks of my life.

Since then, 2 months later and I'm still in moderate pain, mostly a dull ache. I've passed 2 more stones since the litho, but this ache doesn't ever go away. I literally lay on my couch on a heating pad, chucking down aspirin and Zofran. Im now on Chlorthalidone, but it's taken it's sweet time in preventing more stones. Is this chronic pain normal? Should I be considering long term pain management? Is there hope of ever living a normal life again.

I'm in need of suggestions and a bit of hope for the future. Thanks for listening!

Moot444
wagolynn

Re: Chronic pain after stent removal

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Moot44,

I am surprised at Asprin, I may be wrong but I think anti-inflammatorys are not recommended if you have any kidney condition.
If they were prescribed perhaps it's OK for your condition.

Some pain is not unusual but it usually goes after a couple of weeks.

I would suggest you go back to the doctors, and suggest some investigation, an ultrasound scan would probably be sufficient to be sure all is OK. There may be another stone knocking about.