Is Kidney Disease a Permanent Disability?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Johnylefox

Is Kidney Disease a Permanent Disability?

Post by Johnylefox »

My employer recently terminated me (without actually letting me know).
They owe me a deferred bonus but because I was terminated I do not receive the cash, which we really need.
They said the bonus does not get paid upon termination except in instances of death or permanent disability.

Surely IGA Nephropathy, ESRD and dialysis are permanent in that I will always require treatment and I will never be discharged?

I am UK but employer was US.
Tibbs

Re: Is Kidney Disease a Permanent Disability?

Post by Tibbs »

Yes, you're covered by the Equality Act since the disease you have is incurable and not your fault.

I don't know whether it's classed as a permanent disability, but it's certainly something worth checking out with your local Kidney Patients' Association or your Citizen's Advice Bureau.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
Johnylefox

Post by Johnylefox »

Thank you Tibbs.
You are a tremendous source of information.
Many, many thanks.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Sacking you due to an illness or disability is not legal in the UK, CAB will tell you about this.

If you are unable to carry out your usual work, the work should be modified (grants available to the employer) or a different job offered.