Dialysis..or not?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Lynda Rose

Dialysis..or not?

Post by Lynda Rose »

I want to know, if you are on dialysis, how do you feel? I heard that one can be still tired and very nausea up to 12 hours after the dialysis.....how do you experience it?
rheaybou

Re: Dialysis..or not?

Post by rheaybou »

Very personal on how people deal with dialysis and the experiences they have over the two dialysis options. But here is my view on personal experiences with PD and then HD.

PD was nice and gentle process that took place overnight as I picked APD, I was restricted to bed for the dialysis time but being asleep made this a doddle! However I did feel the effects of renal failure, low red blood cell count and fatigue because of this being the worst.

HD felt a little more tiring, four hours attached to a machine and blood being constantly taken out/filtered made me feel tired. Plus my dialysis session started at 7am so it would mean a 6am start to my day Tuesday/Thursday and Saturday. I couldn't relax or sleep so would feel jaded when finished. Also the amount of fluid removed at sessions appeared to have an impact on how tired I would feel.

On both modes of dialysis I had days when i felt tired, didn't feel tired. Would be the same with feeling sick.....

It's very individual....but better than the alternative!
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Lynda Rose,

My immediate thought is, the choice is really dialysis or death, and a slow lingering death at that. so sensibly we do not have a choice.

I find haemodialysis OK, there are good sessions, and not so good ones.
Patients who ignore the dietary advice, probably because they do not try to understand what it's all about, have more troublesome ones.

I think ones mental approach also helps a lot, if you accept it has to happen to keep you healthy for a transplant, you are able then to work out ways of passing the time, some good books etc. Fight it, and it becomes a problem.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

My husband has had a transplant in the last few days but he was on HD for three and a half years. The side effects of HD varied from session to session and I had to give him a level of care when he came home. Sometimes he felt ok and other times he felt very tired. He also felt a bit confused after HD. As he is an older person he found it difficult to sit in the dialysis chair for several hours and he needed to take paracetamol as it caused him back pain. Some people at his dialysis unit have been going there for years and years and treat it a bit like a social club. Every year there is a summer party and there are a few activities at other times. Below is the summer party 2016. I went to the party with my husband and I got to drive a vintage car that someone had brought along, a 1924 Austin 7. It's not all doom and gloom. What's the alternative?