40 eGFR, do I have Kindey disease?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Demeris

40 eGFR, do I have Kindey disease?

Post by Demeris »

Hi, I am 37 years old woman, 15 years on Lithium for Bipolar disorder (known to his toxicity to the kidneys, I am changing medicine ATM). In the latest blood test I had the following results:
  • 09/2015: Creatinine 129 umol/L, eGFR 42 mL/min
  • 02/2016: Creatinine 123 umol/L, eGFR 43 mL/min/1.73m2
  • 07/2016: Creatinine 130 umol/L, eGFR 40 mL/min/1.73m2
The GP didn't warn me about anything, he just said that the value was a little low...is that right or should I worry? It does seem to me that I am in stage g3b of Kidney Disease if I am below 60 eFGR for more than three months!
Do you have any advice of what should I do to get help? Do I need a special diet?
SKM23435

Re: 40 eGFR, do I have Kindey disease?

Post by SKM23435 »

Hi Demeris,

Those values are a little low for someone of your age.
As you say lithium may cause such problems.
I don't think you need to worry at this precise moment, it is what happens when you change medication that is important. It is rate of change that needs to be considered. The good thing is that your doctors seem aware and are looking into it.

So yes, you have CKD - but based on this alone you can't predict the future but your doctors seem to be on the case.

Welcome to the forum.
Best wishes

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Demeris

Post by Demeris »

Thanks a lot for your reply, I'll talk again with my GP and see what it can be done to improve my kidney functions.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Demeris,

A good healthy diet (5 a day portions of fruit or vegetables, see NHS website for details) will maintain your health, there is nothing specific that will help your kidneys in terms of diet.
Unless you are retaining water, (swollen ankles) drink at least 2l of fluid per day.
If you make changes, it is important that you advise your doctor or better still talk to the doctor first.

It is important for your kidneys to control your blood pressure, high blood pressure destroys kidneys, even healthy ones.

I would expect your doctor to run some other test to diagnose the cause of your kidneys malfunction.

As mentioned above a eGFR of 40 should not cause you problems unless you became pregnant.

As mentioned by SKM23435, the rate of decline, if the damage is not curable, tends to be unpredictable.

Best wishes.