High PTH

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

lizzyie

High PTH

Post by lizzyie »

I have had a high PTH level since my second transplant. I have been taking alpha calcidol twice a week and have now been told that it has stopped working, my calcium levels are high and I may need an operation to remove my parathyroid glands.

I am going for an ultrasound scan next week.....has anyone had theirs removed? Also the consultant hasn't tried any other medication to try and lower it, any information about parathyroid would be appreciated, thanks
Liz
sporti

Re: High PTH

Post by sporti »

Hi Lizzyie

Have they tried Sensipar? Called something else in U.K. Cincalet or something like that. Mine was high before transplant but now being on Sensipar has halved my PTH numbers but not normal. Calcium levels high level of normal. Will follow how you get on.
lizzyie

Post by lizzyie »

Hi Sporti, thanks for your reply,
No they haven't tried any other medication except for alphacalcidol which I think is a form of vitamin D.
I will ask about Cincalet and let you know.
sporti

Post by sporti »

Hi Lizzyie

I'm really surprised they haven't put you on this medication. It's pretty standard in U.K. As well as USA. Far better to see how this drug works for you than an operation. Hope you get answers. Where do you live? Sheila
lizzyie

Post by lizzyie »

Hi Sheila

Thanks for your reply and sorry for not replying earlier.... I went for the ultrasound today. It was very quick and I was told they couldn't see the glands at all, none of them! I asked if that was a good thing but they said not really and I would need a nuclear medicine scan to locate them.
I will have to ask more at the transplant clinic, up until now they have just told me every 3 monnths (for 7 years!) that my calcium is a bit high and so is my PTH (I think around 270) then last visit they told me to stop taking the alphacalcidol and I may need an operation to remove my parathyroid glands.
Now I just have to wait for an appointment for another scan, they said it would be fairly soon. I feel a bit worried about it all but think it's best to wait and see what the next scan reveals.

Thank you for your replies and I will keep you up to date
Liz