Eyes here, please help! SURGERY OR NOT?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

deandrere

Eyes here, please help! SURGERY OR NOT?

Post by deandrere »

Hello, I'm 17 years old; Male. I had pain in my left abdomen and my back. In my CT scan, it shows that my left kidney is severely dilated. I've gone through many tests and found out that I've got a stricture in my ureter and that caused my urine to go back or re-flux. After having Nuclear Medicine Imaging(NMI) to test my kidney function, it turned out that my left kidney is only 16% working this time while my right kidney is 84%. My urologist suggested me to have an operation to save my left kidney. In my mind, I've got a question; is it worthy to save this 16% and have my surgery or not?
wagolynn

Re: Eyes here, please help! SURGERY OR NOT?

Post by wagolynn »

Hi deanedrere,

The simple answer is yes, who knows what other problems you may have in the future that may put extra stress on your kidneys, the operation should leave you with plenty of spare capacity in kidney function.

Strictly speaking, if the 84% capacity kidney is healthy, you could live happily with that but it is a gamble.

Best wishes.
Henriettab

Re: Eyes here, please help! SURGERY OR NOT?

Post by Henriettab »

Hi Dean
I would also say a great big yes. You are young with decades ahead of you. I know the prospect of surgery is very daunting but it is always the anticipation beforehand that is the worst. A few weeks or months of waiting feeling anxious is a small price to pay for the benefits of receiving medical help and the lifelong benefit you will gain from it