Working Overseas Post TX

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Johnylefox

Working Overseas Post TX

Post by Johnylefox »

I was diagnosed with IGA in January 2014 and by January 2016 I was on dialysis.
I was born and raised in the UK but for the last 7 years I worked all over the world, mainly the middle east, Qatar, Saudi, Dubai.
I must be honest, I loved my job, not just travelling but the actual day to day job. I had a career, decent money, and most of my friends are people I worked with.
I am now back in the UK and have been on dialysis for 10 months. It is very tiring and I suffer from anemia big time.
A relative has offered to be a donor and is being worked up, we anticipate TX around March/April 2017.
Has anyone ever worked away from their home country post TX?
Am I going to struggle to get back to my old life?
lashy

Re: Working Overseas Post TX

Post by lashy »

Great news about donor.... Wishing you both all of the best!
After surgery and assurances that meds and kidney are working, all being well, you should be able to get back to your job and travels. As long as you take your meds and take basic precautions to avoid infections whilst travelling, the world will again be your oyster!
Good luck with everything x
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Good Luck with the transplant.
Hope all goes well.
My transplant has been life changing. There are some days I almost (not completely - but that's psychological) forget I am a renal patient.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

I travel with work around the world, my life is back to normal apart from a clinic apponintment ever 12 weeks.

What you have to consider is medication, how long are you away and will you be covered for that time, not just TX meds but general prescriptions?

Insurance, my company cover repatriation in cases that require it, they pay an additional premium for me but I guess it isn't a massive amount. However my role is a design engineer and isn't physical, I struggle for a day or two with water retention after long flights and different time zones throw up problems of when to take meds, TX meds are 12 hrs apart.

There is no restriction apart from what makes you feel comfortable, my first trip away was for two days in Scotland a year post TX and I was a nervous reck!
Last edited by rheaybou on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Johnylefox

Post by Johnylefox »

Thanks all.

I actually work for an Engineering company in a contractual capacity.

My stints overseas were 6 to 8 weeks at a time.

I loved it.

Hope to get back to it.
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

I've never worked overseas but have travelled for extended periods. I had a bit of hassle getting 5 months of meds in stock when I went to Australia. Otherwise I had no issues.

In retrospect I should have taken more care with my meds when backpacking in high temperatures. But travelling for work that's less of an issue - probably you're based in one place with access to a cool place to store them.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010