Medical exemption certificate

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Fred

Medical exemption certificate

Post by Fred »

We were fortunate to get a medical exemption certificate while on dialysis. Have now had transplant and wondering if it's still valid. On the rules on the back it says " you can use your certificate until it expires even if your medical condition changes"

Have searched the the NHS sites to see what I need to do, but it doesn't say anything anywhere about informing them if condition changes, so with that statement on the back I assume it can be used till it expires after which I would have to pay?

Anyone had experience of this?

Thanks
rheaybou

Re: Medical exemption certificate

Post by rheaybou »

Mine expires at the end of December and as I am aware it covers that period fully and you don't have to return/inform.

If you have a fistula I believe you continue to receive exemption. TX meds will always be free, however my consultant move steroid to GP so I would assume to continue exemption for all my other meds(BP , Vit D, Lanzoprazole.....)

I did also search and was told renewal would be sent out in the post for GP consultant to sign.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Transplant patients aren't generally exempt, so you're doing quite well, Richard.

http://www.kidney.org.uk/about-us/polic ... criptions/

I pay about £10 per month by direct debit for a 'season ticket', which I consider pretty good value.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
Fred

Post by Fred »

That's great thanks
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

AmandaClare wrote:Transplant patients aren't generally exempt, so you're doing quite well, Richard.

http://www.kidney.org.uk/about-us/polic ... criptions/

I pay about £10 per month by direct debit for a 'season ticket', which I consider pretty good value.
i have no problem with my regular meds being on prescription, but policy is that TX meds are FOC by transplant centre, but my steriod is now added to my GP prescription items
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.