What would you suggest for a patient?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Reckenzie

What would you suggest for a patient?

Post by Reckenzie »

Hello mate,

I am much interested to know what would you suggest for a Kidney Patient alternative to smoking. Does their any other method which can help him to quit smoking asap. If you know guys please let me know.

Thank you so much!
wagolynn

Re: What would you suggest for a patient?

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Reckenzie,

From what I have observed.

The only method that works, requires A) The desire to quit, and B) The will to quit.

Once that is sorted out, just not having the next one works, a smoking diary to record any relapses (with a score so progress can be seen), a new interest (to divert attention), and supportive (preferably non-smoking) friends.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. Totally worked for me.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Reckenzie

Post by Reckenzie »

Hey guys,

Thank you so much for your cooperation and reply. However, can e-juice, e-cigarettes, vaping help? I think so. But does there any bad effects if I follow those one of the method?

Please let me know!
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

The logic does not add up.

I am addicted to nicotine, which I get from tobacco smoke.

I will get my nicotine fix from another source, this will end my addiction.

As I said, the logic just doe's not add up.
Reckenzie

Post by Reckenzie »

I am not sure what to do in order to quit smoking. But I searched a little bit and found few website which offer different kind of methods like this one https://www.blacknote.com/the-future-of-vaping/ The above sites are offering different methods I mentioned above. Can I use one of the method?

Please let me know. Thanks!
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Support willpower..

You could try hypnosis, which is non invasive..

http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/quit-smoking/smoking
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Thankfully I have never been addicted to cigarettes. However like giving up/cutting back on something you enjoy willpower is key. So distance yourself from the triggers that make you want to smoke.

The day I was diagnosed / started dialysis my younger brother stopped from 20-30 a day (in the Royal Navy) to zero so he would be fit and considered as a living donor. Sometime you just need a little motivation.

Good luck as I can't imagine how hard it could be to quit.

Or this is a long running post to get round pushing a product........
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.