Has anyone had to change career due to kidney issues?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Mrs travis

Has anyone had to change career due to kidney issues?

Post by Mrs travis »

When I discovered I had kidney problems I was a model. That was put on hold once I had a nefrostomy tube and drain fitted for ten months whilst I awaited surgery. Its now looking likely according to my GP that dialysis is not too far away. I asked a few questions but mostly got the response of speak to consultant. But if anyone could help me with the benefit of their experiences I would be most grateful.

If I work full time, would hospital let me have dialysis after working hours? I appreciate that's cheeky but I want to remain working, although I appreciate health should come first I still have a family to keep and I don't want to claim benefits.

Am I legally required to tell prospective new employers about my kidney problem and possible lots of time off work. Am concerned prospective employers may refuse me on basis that I am sick.

Would rather stay at my current profession but my agent said no chance I would get work if I have a chest line. So I going to prepare myself now so it's not such a shock later.
Johnylefox

Re: Has anyone had to change career due to kidney issues?

Post by Johnylefox »

None of my business but who wants to be involved with such a vain bunch of people anyway?
If you are a model human being you will have flows, we all do, it is a facet of human existence.
I suspect you are attractive, why would one body line make a difference?
Before I got sick, my partner had a kidney autotransplant in 2011 and she has a massive scar. She is the most attractive thing I have ever seen.
I detest the obsession with perfection that some people have.
Walk away with your head held high.
Most really successful people are where they are because of personality and less superficial characteristics.
I wish you all the best.
chessnut

Post by chessnut »

Mrs travis wrote:When I discovered I had kidney problems I was a model. That was put on hold once I had a nefrostomy tube and drain fitted for ten months whilst I awaited surgery. Its now looking likely according to my GP that dialysis is not too far away. I asked a few questions but mostly got the response of speak to consultant. But if anyone could help me with the benefit of their experiences I would be most grateful.

Am I legally required to tell prospective new employers about my kidney problem and possible lots of time off work. Am concerned prospective employers may refuse me on basis that I am sick.

Would rather stay at my current profession but my agent said no chance I would get work if I have a chest line. So I going to prepare myself now so it's not such a shock later.
In principle, dialysis patients are covered by the Equality Act 2010. This document https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... mQ&cad=rja has some explanation, as does https://www.gov.uk/rights-disabled-person/employment.

Your employer is required to make 'reasonable adjustments' to fit around your needs.
I don't believe you are obliged to tell employers of your kidney problems, but you would need to do so if you want them to make adjustments, e.g. in working schedule.
Mrs travis wrote: If I work full time, would hospital let me have dialysis after working hours? I appreciate that's cheeky but I want to remain working, although I appreciate health should come first I still have a family to keep and I don't want to claim benefits.
You should be able to request a convenient time slot, but this may depend on how full the unit is.

Incidentally, I opted for home haemodialysis, which allows me to do dialysis when it is convenient for me after work, and at weekends. However, I don't have children, and was able to free up a room for dialysis. I'm also lucky with having good flexible working conditions anyway, so minor adjustments for hospital appointments etc have not been a problem for me, so I can't answer your question about changing career - I have managed to remain in full time work. Sometimes I feel that work and dialysis is all I do, but then I take a break for something I enjoy and I remember why I'm continuing with it all.

I hope you can manage to continue to work as well, whether as a model or in some other way.
Mrs travis

Post by Mrs travis »

Johnylefox wrote:None of my business but who wants to be involved with such a vain bunch of people anyway?
If you are a model human being you will have flows, we all do, it is a facet of human existence.
I suspect you are attractive, why would one body line make a difference?
Before I got sick, my partner had a kidney autotransplant in 2011 and she has a massive scar. She is the most attractive thing I have ever seen.
I detest the obsession with perfection that some people have.
Walk away with your head held high.
Most really successful people are where they are because of personality and less superficial characteristics.
I wish you all the best.
I am a nude model hence the chest line is a big no no. I work on TV naughty channels. I had a good run of over a decade but now am accepting my time is over. No such thing as perfection, it's all about lighting lol.
Mrs travis

Post by Mrs travis »

chessnut wrote:
Mrs travis wrote:When I discovered I had kidney problems I was a model. That was put on hold once I had a nefrostomy tube and drain fitted for ten months whilst I awaited surgery. Its now looking likely according to my GP that dialysis is not too far away. I asked a few questions but mostly got the response of speak to consultant. But if anyone could help me with the benefit of their experiences I would be most grateful.

In principle, dialysis patients are covered by the Equality Act 2010. This document https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... mQ&cad=rja has some explanation, as does https://www.gov.uk/rights-disabled-person/employment.

Your employer is required to make 'reasonable adjustments' to fit around your needs.
I don't believe you are obliged to tell employers of your kidney problems, but you would need to do so if you want them to make adjustments, e.g. in working schedule.
Mrs travis wrote: If I work full time, would hospital let me have dialysis after working hours? I appreciate that's cheeky but I want to remain working, although I appreciate health should come first I still have a family to keep and I don't want to claim benefits.
You should be able to request a convenient time slot, but this may depend on how full the unit is.

Incidentally, I opted for home haemodialysis, which allows me to do dialysis when it is convenient for me after work, and at weekends. However, I don't have children, and was able to free up a room for dialysis. I'm also lucky with having good flexible working conditions anyway, so minor adjustments for hospital appointments etc have not been a problem for me, so I can't answer your question about changing career - I have managed to remain in full time work. Sometimes I feel that work and dialysis is all I do, but then I take a break for something I enjoy and I remember why I'm continuing with it all.

I hope you can manage to continue to work as well, whether as a model or in some other way.
That is very helpful thank you so much.

I had an interview this week and opted to inform interviewer of kidney issue to see how they reacted. He asked me straight out how much time off I would need, I could literally see him working out a reply not to give me the job that I am actually overqualified for. So next time I will keep my mouth shut until I have received a job offer.

I didn't realise there was an option for home dialysis, that is amazing. I am assuming that I would be required to buy any equipment I would need?
chessnut

Post by chessnut »

Mrs travis wrote: I didn't realise there was an option for home dialysis, that is amazing. I am assuming that I would be required to buy any equipment I would need?
I assume you are based in the UK? Ask your unit about home dialysis. Mine set up everything for me - people were sent to put in a new floor lining, do the plumbing, and they've loaned me the equipment. Supplies are delivered every month, and waste taken away by the council. I've been doing this for over 3 years now.

I haven't had to pay a penny. I even get a rebate on council tax, as one room goes to dialysis. (I believe home dialysis is cheaper for the NHS, even though they give all this support - probably down to saving staff costs.)

I expect the details will vary across the country - my unit is well set up to support home dialysis.

Note, peritoneal dialysis is more popular (easier?) for home treatment, and is an alternative to haemodialysis.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Mrs Travis,
Your local dialysis unit may run an evening shift, usually 17:00 hrs. to 23:00 hrs. They plan to have everyone finished and away before 20:30 as most people are on dialysis for about four hours, you can work out the latest start time.

Your fistula (formed in your arm, to enable blood to be taken out passed through the machine, and returned) will show and be difficult to hide.

As to mentioning your condition at interview - I think you must, if you get a job, you will not be able to hide your condition for long, and it will become plain to the employer you withheld the information. This leaves the employer with the thought, what else did you not tell them? Better they refuse you the job in the first place than get started only to have the employer looking for ways to get rid of you.

Best wishes.
Mrs travis

Post by Mrs travis »

wagolynn wrote:Mrs Travis,

As to mentioning your condition at interview - I think you must, if you get a job, you will not be able to hide your condition for long, and it will become plain to the employer you withheld the information. This leaves the employer with the thought, what else did you not tell them? Better they refuse you the job in the first place than get started only to have the employer looking for ways to get rid of you.

Best wishes.
This is my dilemma. I am worried if I tell them up front, I will just be dismissed as too problematic. But if I don't disclose it, it makes me look a little shady at best.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

HI Mrs Travis,

Better to be honest than being stressed waiting for the inevitable day they discover the truth.

If I assume you are being realistic in your applications, i.e. applying for jobs where there ought to be some flexibility in hours worked.

Then if a prospective employer rejects you because of your condition, would you have wanted to work for them anyway, I wouldn't.

Good luck.
Rik

Post by Rik »

hey MrsT ...
was wondering how things went??
I worked full time throughout my dialysis ..
had my sessions in the evenings/nights
hope it's working out for you :0)
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Mrs travis wrote:
wagolynn wrote:Mrs Travis,

Best wishes.
This is my dilemma. I am worried if I tell them up front, I will just be dismissed as too problematic. But if I don't disclose it, it makes me look a little shady at best.
Don't mention it at interview, it makes things awkward for the business, as you can potentially make a case under the equality act as to that being the reason they didn't offer you the job. Once you have the job offer, most places will ask you to fill out a medical form. This is the time that you disclose it.

If they don't ask at all (and some don't) then I tend to take my manager aside after I start and explain the situation.

Having said that, I'm transplanted so only need time off for clinic appointments and other routine matters.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Mentioned that I was a transplant patient at a recent interview after flying through and impressing....

Funnily enough I didn't get considered for the role - all interview being told I was just what they were looking for. Will know in future that it is something I will only mention after signing a contract - even if the first 6 months is always a trial/probation period.

No legal obligation for you to tell so I wont!
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Mrs travis

Post by Mrs travis »

Rik wrote:hey MrsT ...
was wondering how things went??
I worked full time throughout my dialysis ..
had my sessions in the evenings/nights
hope it's working out for you :0)
I decided to set my own business up so can arrange my schedule around my needs. As I had no luck with interviews, some I told some I didn't. I had a good increase in my Gfr for a while so dialysis was put off. It's low again now but delaying it for as long as possible.
Rik

Post by Rik »

you sound a strong lady MrsT ...
think you had the good and the bad rolled into one with your work ... tough job
but at least you were able to go your own way and set up on your own ...
good for you ... :)

I was crap at understanding what level means what ... (and still am!!)
in the end my renal team stuck to one ... the phosphate level ...
they explained if it got X high ... my heart wouldn't like it ... :?
for a while before and whilst on HD ... after I had got to work ...
I would get would I have always called my phosphate attack ...
it was like my body saying ... well I have let you commute without any trouble ... but now ....................................
everything went like it was in a very long tunnel ... vision ... hearing ... wasn't able to stand etc ...
so ... don't push your levels too high madam!!

is it wrong to admit ... when younger ...
I had a poster of MrsT on my wall??!! 8) 8) 8)