Worried about my kidney function

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Lewis_fan

Worried about my kidney function

Post by Lewis_fan »

I don't know what's happening to me and I'm starting to freak out. I apologise in advance for the long rambling post.

I don't have any history of renal problems, I'm a diabetic and I have bp well managed with meds.

For the last month the weather's been warm and I noticed my pee was quite dark and I seemed to be passing a little less pee when my bladder felt full. I assumed this was due to dehydration and tried to drink more (probably had too much Diet Coke than water!).

About 10 days ago I had a cold and stomach bug at the time I noticed a strong smell from my pee - possible infection.

5 days ago I started noticed I was peeing less. In particular, hardly passing any pee in the day and passing most at night. I would estimate I'm passing around 500ml (give or take some ml) per night. I suspected dehydration so I've upped fluids to around 2 litres a day - for the first few days I was loading and drinking lots in one go but now I'm trying to sip a little often.

On Friday I saw my doctor and he examined me and dip tested my urine (appointment was first thing in the morning) and was clear for infection, protein, blood and sugar. He observed the sample was dark and concentrated, suggesting I was dehydrated. The night before I had passed about 350/400 ml of light straw coloured pee. He has arranged for me to have bloods taken on Monday. During the day on Friday I ramped up my fluid and took in quite a lot in one go rather than steady sips. In the evening I developed mild oedema in the ankles. This made me very anxious - first time it's ever happened to me. I elevated my feet and from midnight through to 6am I started passing a very light straw urine - around 75 - 100ml at a time, every hour. By morning most of the oedema had gone. I saw an emergency doctor first thing this morning and he checked my urine - again it was dark yellow and concentrated. The dip test revealed ketones (suggesting dehydration) but also +1 Protein - Dr wasn't unduely worried as he said concentrated urine can do this. He felt oedema was mild and suggested one of my bp meds could have made me more susceptible to it. His advice was to await the bloods on Monday and didn't see it as an emergency.

During the day I've taken about 2.5 litre on board, slowing sipping water and I've had a rehydration powders as well. I've been lying down with feet up for much of the day to reduce the odema and also cos I'm quite tired from peeing al night. I'm at bedtime now and have passed about 500ml since 6am.

Overall neither of the doctors seem unduly worried and attribute this to dehydration and legacy of a low level UTI. Nor do they seem worried that I'm passing most of my water at night. The first doctor said it was fine to be passing around 500ml a day.

I just don't understand what's going on - the change in peeing and the constant cycle of dehydration - I'm dehydrated first thing, spend the day loading up on fluids with out passing out much of it and then spend the night discharging this light straw wee.

Obviously the tests will tell us more next week, I'm becoming highly anxious that it's Acute Renal Failure, but could it be as simple as dehydration? My dad died 18 months ago as a result of renal failure.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.
wagolynn

Re: Worried about my kidney function

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Lewis_fan,

I know it is easy to say but hard to do, stop worrying.

It does sound like you have been dehydrated, back off the diet coke, and drop the rehydration powder, this gives your body chance to sort itself out. 2.5 litres should be sufficient intake to let your body get back to normal. A fair average 'normal' intake is about 2 litres per day.
I am not too sure about diet coke as a hydration source, if you want flavour try making some lemonade, there are recipes on the internet.

Until you have got the blood test results, there is nothing else to be done.

I does sound as though, due to the heat, you have got a little dehydrated.

Best wishes.