low drain alarm help

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

seumas

low drain alarm help

Post by seumas »

Hello,all I'm a new member and my mother(82yrs) is on CAPD at home and has been managing it herself fine until recently . she now has extraneal as a last fill and quite often just at the last fill / drain cycle it raises the alarm ,we have checked all lines and the Dialysis staff have checked card and machine etc ,I'm wandering has anyone had similar problems mabey due to the frangibles,or something, :?: cheers
wagolynn

Re: low drain alarm help

Post by wagolynn »

Hi seumas,

I think the problem may be fibrin (clumps of protein fibres), see web page from Baxsters.

http://www.baxterpi.com/pi-pdf/Extraneal_Med_Guide.pdf

It is worth reading it all, if Baxters have not already provided you with a copy, the notes about fibrin are on the second page past halfway down the left hand column.

The other thought is, some people report success, by changing their position so the end of the internal tube changes it's position.
Dibs

Re: low drain alarm help

Post by Dibs »

I lie on my left side, the catheter is to the right of where my belly button was, when I am draining and awake. I have had the odd episode where I have ended up trying other positions, but my first reaction is to lie on my left if the alarm sounds.