egfr test

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

loulou

egfr test

Post by loulou »

hi can having a cold cause a lower egfr test ?
wagolynn

Re: egfr test

Post by wagolynn »

Hi loulou,

I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question.

Having a cold may influence the result.

However, eGFR is notorious for not being very accurate, clinicians usually are concerned about trends in the results rather than a one off result. So I think you need to wait and see if the next result is similar.
loulou

Post by loulou »

hi wagolyn im just concerned because in the past 2 years it has been up an down 2 years ago it was 54 then 6 mounths ago it was 69 now it is 51 its all over the place and im trying to work out what cause this the doctor said if im dehydrated it can cause it to be like this but so much
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi loulou,

Yes, being dehydrated or over hydrated will cause your eGFR to swing about.

Bearing in mind that an eGFR of 51 is not a problem, just relax, if you are monitored regularly the doctor will start to intervene when it is required, which, by the sounds of it, will be a long time yet.

Best wishes.
loulou

Post by loulou »

thanks i feel a little be more at ease