EBV Virus

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

lizzyie

EBV Virus

Post by lizzyie »

I have had my transplant for 7 years.
A month ago I got a sore throat, felt tired and generally unwell....as though I had a cold developing. I rested and just didn't improve so went to see my GP.
My GP did blood tests and said all was ok, my CR was slightly elevated and not to worry. I went back to my GP after a week as my throat was still very sore and I felt tired, he arranged for another blood test.
Today I got a letter from my GP saying I had EBV virus and that he was going to write to the transplant team for advice.
I have looked EBV up and some of the articles I have read are very worrying........has anyone had this virus? and if so how was it dealt with? I have looked on the Forum and some people have said a reduction of immunosuppressants but my match wasn't very good so not sure that would work!
Any information would be great as I have the weekend to get through thinking about it. Thanks.
Lizzyie
AmandaClare

Re: EBV Virus

Post by AmandaClare »

I had an initial infection of EBV within a year of transplant and at least two recurrences. It's never triggered post-transplant lymphoma. It's a risk rather than a certainty that anything bad will happen.

Also, if you're googling, make sure you look at up to date resources. Even in the unlikely event of developing PTLD, I believe there are much more effective treatments now.

By writing to the tranplant team, does your GP mean a snail mail letter? I'd be tempted to call and say you have this diagnosis. They may not think it's urgent, on the other hand they might want to physically check you or do more bloods. One time when EBV showed in my blood I had to go for a chest xray.

Hope you feel better soon.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
lizzyie

Post by lizzyie »

Thanks for your reply AmandaClare, it's good to get some first hand information.
Usually the letters from my GP come under the snail mail heading. I will be ringing my transplant nurse in the morning to be on the safe side.
Thanks again for the information
Lizzyie
MidgeMan90

Post by MidgeMan90 »

Hi,

I have had very low level EBV since November 2011. I still have it now.

Due to an early almost rejection episode, the nephs are unwilling to lower my meds to such an amount to allow my body to overcome the virus.

They just monitor it when I go for clinic and don't seem that bothered about it. Obviously I am very vigilant when it comes to lumps and bumps, but I have had no issues as of yet.

I believe it is carried by most of the human population and tends to 'activate' once your immune system is weakened.

Not too much to worry about, just keep on top of it and you will be fine :)
Diagnosed with end stage renal failure out of the blue - 11/02/2010
Haemo - February 2010 - April 2010
APD - May 2010 - June 23/2011
Transplanted via live donor - 24/06/2011.

Doing my best to look after that kidney.
R30

Post by R30 »

I also had EBV less than a year after my transplant in 2004, although I didn't - thankfully - get PTLD. I work at a boarding school so there's always a risk that I'll pick up some type of viral infection. What I found was that my transplant started fairly fast rejection with the EBV; I went from 63% function to around 43% in a month and it's declined steadily from there (now at 28%). Having said that, this was 12 years ago and I'm still here!

Don't be too concerned as EBV is a very common virus. Although I was unluckier than some, I've far more to be happy about than some others too.