Kidney Patient Survivor To Work Out Again

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

cspringer479

Kidney Patient Survivor To Work Out Again

Post by cspringer479 »

Hello,

Is it possible to workout after the surgery? Like taking part to physical activities often. And what is the better exercise for post surgery survivor? I am thinking to do workout at home and not by seeing any doctor for rehabilitation stuffs so to reduce any expenses.
Chris Wright

Re: Kidney Patient Survivor To Work Out Again

Post by Chris Wright »

Other than being careful with the operation site, you can do what you want.

Soon after my Transplant i started training for the UK Transplant Games and then went on the represent the UK at the international Transplant Olympics.

Just go for it and enjoy it.

Chris
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!
cspringer479

Post by cspringer479 »

Chris Wright wrote:Other than being careful with the operation site, you can do what you want.

Soon after my Transplant i started training for the UK Transplant Games and then went on the represent the UK at the international Transplant Olympics.

Just go for it and enjoy it.

Chris

Wow! You have such adorable story! You are blessed because you believe life awaits us to be much more interesting despite of health struggles and issues. Keep fighting!

I must believe as well to enjoy life just like what you did.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

The only thing my doctors told me was not to do any contact sport so I had to stop kickboxing, and things like rugby would be out of the question for most amateurs (Jonah Lomu excepted) - otherwise you can do most things trouble free! :)
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
cspringer479

Post by cspringer479 »

Seriously you do kickboxing before? :roll: I think I will not do that kind of stuff. 8)
cspringer479

Post by cspringer479 »

I am doing great!!! A little workout small and step by step workout every morning.
nahiean.sa

Post by nahiean.sa »

My doctor says it's not a risky game to play.
That's why I stopped kick boxing practice and had to leave the NFL,
he told me to drink more water. Now I play rugby occasionally.
Marco Frank
[email protected]
Mike2003

Post by Mike2003 »

For me it's been an unexpectedly long game with renal disease. I think I underestimated the importance of mental strength and illness ownership. Just being told I was stage 5 renal failure made me feel more unwell. I was 18%eGFR then in 2006...2017 now and I'm at 11%eGFR. It's like an internal negotiation between me, my body, hope and some faith.

Currently I have a sympathetic, kind employer and I can't begin to say how my self image has shifted for the better. I am able to try and do workouts most days even battling with the additional problem of osteoarthritis.

Realistic and caring supporters are important. I don't think my worried Mum realised how she clipped my wings as a child and I was only diagnosed then, not on dialysis or late stage at that time.

Sheer stubborness sometimes keeps me going, particularly when I've been bullied!

I guess its similar after surgery, the same applies. Hopefully folk dont get bullied post surgery but Ive seen it in call centre jobs Ive been in. I hope Ill get a permanent status job where I am. Intelligent support is important.

eliznew412.
Aged 62 lady stage 5 renal failure awaiting transplant