Mouth Ulcers (Oral Thrush)

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Goodasnew

Mouth Ulcers (Oral Thrush)

Post by Goodasnew »

Hi I am a new kidney doner to this forum. I donated a kidney to my husband at the beginning of March. He was doing well for the first 3 mths then 5 weeks ago started with mouth ulcers on his inner lip and both sides of his tongue. He hardly ate anything for 3 weeks as his mouth was so painful. Been told it due to his anti regection tablets and his dosage has been reduced. has anyone else suffered with this problem and do these ulcers take a long time to heal, they are rather large on his tongue and very painful. He is now managing to eat sold food again. Thank you for any replies.
Thumps

Re: Mouth Ulcers (Oral Thrush)

Post by Thumps »

Hiya - they do heal up, it's often because of the very large doses at the start. I was given a special mouthwash thing to use (Nystatin I think) as a preventative measure to avoid oral thrush for the first three months after my op. Made all food taste terrible but it did work.

It will get better though, a year down the line I felt fit as a fiddle :) Well done you for donating to your husband!
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Goodasnew

Re: Mouth Ulcers (Oral Thrush)

Post by Goodasnew »

Hiya Thank you so much for your reply. My husband is taking Nystatin and is now on his sixth bottle. It does seem to have helped and eased the ulcers he just has one large persistant one on the side of his tongue that interfears with eating and he finds it difficult to talk properly. Hopefully it will eventually fade.

It does help and is reassuring to hear that someone else has had this problem and got over it. We wish you the best of health for years to come and thank you again for replying.

"LIFE IS JUST AS GOOD WITH ONE KIDNEY" :-)