Can I do anything to improve GFR

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Jenkin

Can I do anything to improve GFR

Post by Jenkin »

I didn't realise I had failing kidneys until last December when I had a GFR of 38% - doctor changed my bp medication and, after a month it was at 44%. He told me to have a blood test again in 6 months which I have just done. Well, I now have a GFR of just 29.2%. I eat healthily, bp is stable, exercise everyday, have lost 5 kilos and generally feel really well - so what has happened and what, if anything should I be doing? Very disappointed with new results as I had thought things were improving
rheaybou

Re: Can I do anything to improve GFR

Post by rheaybou »

Talk to your Dr, however from bitter experience and the wide number of causes that could have got you to this point it would be impossible for anyone to give you hope of improving your renal function IF it is a chronic condition.

The steps you have outlined are great for your general health and trying to preserve the function you have, but don't expect any major jump.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Thumps

Re: Can I do anything to improve GFR

Post by Thumps »

Sounds like you are doing all the right things to look after your general health, which is a great thing! Being as healthy in all the other ways as possible when you have kidney failure at any level is beneficial, so do keep doing that. Maintaining good weight, good blood pressure and heart health, lowered salt levels in your diet and keeping hydrated are all very important.

You haven't said what is causing your kidney failure, have you had a diagnosis?
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!