RE: Transplants and yoghurt!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

jooles

RE: Transplants and yoghurt!

Post by jooles »

Hello All
I am 15 months post transplant and am embarking on a diet (thanks, steroids!). I love Greek yoghurt (Fage Total 0% Fat) but have noticed that it contains live cultures. I know this is a no-no for transplantees. After lots of research, and by the very definition of yoghurt, I am unable to find one without live cultures. Can anyone enlighten me? Some of my kidney friends do eat it ....

Much thanks

Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
rheaybou

Re: RE: Transplants and yoghurt!

Post by rheaybou »

You are a living, walking and talking bacteria carrying thing.

Most of the bacteria in live yoghurt already hang around in your guts etc. Do you still have the diet sheet guidance given to you by TX team on discharge? I eat them all, only avoiding unpasteurised cheese.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

jooles wrote:Hello All
I am 15 months post transplant and am embarking on a diet (thanks, steroids!). I love Greek yoghurt (Fage Total 0% Fat) but have noticed that it contains live cultures. I know this is a no-no for transplantees. After lots of research, and by the very definition of yoghurt, I am unable to find one without live cultures. Can anyone enlighten me? Some of my kidney friends do eat it ....

Much thanks

Jooles
Bloody hell, i've been eating that for years!!!

I think live cultures is just to do with vaccines, eat yoghurt, enjoy life!! :D

C
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

I also eat a lot of yoghurt... in summer I have it with my oats instead of making porridge.

The probiotic ones like Activia are a different story, though even the advice for those also seems to vary depending on where you look.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
Rik

Post by Rik »

yup ...
agree with all the above ...
been having it for years ...
along with steak thats 'blue' ...
sushi ...
I have a 'thing' for raw bacon ...
and love fresh shellfish too ...
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

The beef worm can easily be treated as it lives in your guts, should you catch it.

The pork worm is much more serious, if infected, it attacks the brain, both are killed by cooking the meat.

As far as I know the curing process does not kill the pork worm in bacon.

The above applies to all individuals with or without working kidneys.
jooles

Post by jooles »

Thanks all for comments. I have received a long, detailed research paper from my dietician which states that although natural yoghurt and 'Bio' / 'Probiotic' can share the same combination of the main five live cultures, it is those labelled 'Bio' and 'Probiotic' that have higher quantities and should therefore be avoided.. All this so that I can be true to my new Slimming World rules!!

Hope everyone's week is going smoothly!
Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
cspringer479

Post by cspringer479 »

But dietitian suggest not to take yogurt but I have it in my fridge. There's nothing to worry. Nothing happens to me after eating it. Lol