Travel with a CVC

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

ericou

Travel with a CVC

Post by ericou »

Hi,

I would like to ask you if it was dangerous for a patient to travel with a CVC ?

My mother has been on dialysis for 2 years, she is 62, and has a catheter since the beginning. And she would like to travel in Thailand.

Any advice please ? =)
bigbuzzard

Re: Travel with a CVC

Post by bigbuzzard »

I see a CVC is what I know as a 'neck line'. Presumably, if on haemodialysis, she would need to sort out dialysis in Thailand (unless she has her own portable machine and supplies).
The person who should really answer this is your mothers renal consultant/dialysis nurse. They would know whether she understands the hygiene requirements well enough, and would be able to give good advice as to what supplies she would need to take with her. Also, a letter from her consultant may be necessary to explain what it is and why she needs it (perhaps translated to relevant languages).
ericou

Re: Travel with a CVC

Post by ericou »

Ok I see, thanks for your reply :)