Emigrating away from the UK

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Thumps

Emigrating away from the UK

Post by Thumps »

I am wondering how many folk on this forum who are British but have emigrated to other countries post transplant. How difficult was it to do so? Did it have an impact on your residency/visa applications? Does it cost a lot to maintain, ie tests and drugs, in other countries?

Any information most welcome. :) I know we've a couple of people in France and the US on here and possibly one in NZ??
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Johnylefox

Re: Emigrating away from the UK

Post by Johnylefox »

Not quite.

I lived away BEFORE the kidney failed.

I was working in the middle east when diagnosed with IGA.

Then the kidneys went and I could no longer stay in the middle east.

Please consider the following:

*Kidney disease is common the world over so their is a nephrologist in most of the hospitals I ever came across
*Depending on were you go to, health insurance may be required and pre existing conditions may inflate premiums
*Your TX may fail one day and you will need treatment then transplant which costs a prohibitive amount in other countries
*Medicines you take now may not be readily available in other countries

The NHS is an amazing organisation. If you leave you may not be able to use the NHS on your return, they have changed the rules for expats.

Please do some SERIOUS research.

Good luck
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Yes, I'm aware of those things, hence the request for first hand experience of emigrating after transplant, as part of that research.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

My partner and I have had conversations about moving - at times it looked like he might be offered an overseas job with his firm, but so far it's never come to anything. Pre-brexit we didn't consider Europe a major problem for my healthcare, apart from possible language issues.

Generally I've been amazed at how mobile some people on this site seem to be. I'm sure one person emigrated to NZ and that one of the US residents who posts moved over there after their diagnosis. So there must be ways.

Where were you considering moving to, Thumps?
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

New Zealand has been mooted on a couple of occasions but no firm plans. I'm more curious just to hear the possibilities! I'd always assumed that my condition would tie me to the UK for good but given the slow destruction of the NHS and recent political moves like the referendum I'm wondering if it might be possible to consider a move.
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

I think now the chance of me moving overseas for work are gone.

As an engineer the world was my oyster with Canada and Australia high on the list of destinations. However post transplant I fear the change and feel safe within the NHS(plus who would insure me/cover that expense)

The NHS will change, that's inevitable. But as such a large employer in the UK it won't vanish as it is vital to our economy. Privatisation of services for dialysis in my experience has seen a steep increase in quality of equipment and service offered over NHS ran units.

The profits in my opinion coming from removal of the criminal waste the NHS sees every day in all services it provides.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.