Donor not a tissue match

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Johnylefox

Donor not a tissue match

Post by Johnylefox »

My cousin is donating his kidney to me. He is the same blood group but not a tissue match.
What are the implications of this?
He has one day of tests mid-July for ecg, chest x ray and kidney function tests.
So presumably we might be close to some action or stll months away?
MandyV

Re: Donor not a tissue match

Post by MandyV »

Hi - it used to be that the lower the tissue match the more concerned they were because of the rejection risk - these days they are far more relaxed with the new generations of drugs. However having a 0/6 match does mean that you could be setting up antibodies for any future transplant and they don't like you (as a rule) to have the same mismatches in subsequent transplants (cell memory I believe).

However if the cross match is negative the benefit of a live donor might well be greater than any future risks - after all you may only ever need that one transplant ...