Exercise and PD

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

StephenPeachey

Exercise and PD

Post by StephenPeachey »

Hi all

Hope you are well. I've just had my Catheter operation last Friday and am up and about just wondered how long it akes to heel as it were, it seems pretty quick at the mo as I'm currently typing this in my local library. A bit sore but apart from that good progress, just wondering if I can get back into my running/joging rouine when all is heeled or if that's a no no.

Many Thank

Stephen
rheaybou

Re: Exercise and PD

Post by rheaybou »

Hi Stephen.

As will all good questions the answer is to check with your dialysis nurse/Drs.

I wanted to excercises post op but I lacked the energy, however we had discussed this prior to having it fitted. The advice I was given was to wait around 4 weeks and slowly build up from walking.

When I started dialysis they also advised that if running(wasn't possible)that I should not have any dialysis fluid in, that I should run 'dry', the risk is that you could cause a hernia with a few kgs of fluid sloshing about.
Speaking to people at the time they swapped running for a road bike to minimise risk.

Good luck with the running and if not, enjoy the bike.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Dibs

Re: Exercise and PD

Post by Dibs »

Hi Stephen.

I don't run any more. I do try to walk whenever possible, but my wound and dressings would suffer with too much physical exercise. I'm not as tired as I was pre-dialysis, but most evenings I am still ready for my bed. So I wouldn't say that you can't run after a few weeks, but don't expect things to be the same.