Kidney stent one week before kidney scope.....why?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Simsarahlou

Kidney stent one week before kidney scope.....why?

Post by Simsarahlou »

Hello. First timer here.
I have kidney pain every few months and usually end up in a&e. In April i had retrograde studies and urethra dilation.
Now I've been booked for a ureta stent insertion and leave it in for one week prior to scoping the kidney.
I've been trying to research this and all stent info I have found suggests the use of a stent after scope or for an obstruction.
Just to clarify I've had 5 ct scans over three years with no blockages or stones to be found.
Is this quite typical practice? Logic would tell me the stent is used this way to perhaps dilate the ureta to stretch enough to fit the scope tool thingy more easily

Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Simsarahlou

Re: Kidney stent one week before kidney scope.....why?

Post by Simsarahlou »

Any ideas?
wagolynn

Re: Kidney stent one week before kidney scope.....why?

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Simsarahlou,

I would have thought the best place to go to get an answer is your doctor. Whilst it doe's sound unusual, I would be surprised to find that your doctor did not have some logical reason for prescribing the stent.

Best wishes.