New therapy for those with antibodies against transplants

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Pam

New therapy for those with antibodies against transplants

Post by Pam »

Hi all,
I just wanted to pass on some information I saw on a television program about transplantation. It seems that there is a new, groundbreaking therapy for those who cannot have a transplant because of antibodies in their system.
Dr. Stanley Jordan of Cedars Sinai Medical Center has found that patients who are given IVIG (intravenous immune globulin) have a success rate for transplantation that is double that of someone who has not had this drug therapy!
This gives hope to those who have given up on a transplant due to the antibody issue. I know that there are a few of you here on the board so I thought this might be of some encouragement. I will try to get more information on this in the next few days and post it-maybe some websites are available with more details.
Take care of yourselves!
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28