Home dialysis

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

mildredthecat

Home dialysis

Post by mildredthecat »

hi I was wondering if anyone could help please. I keep nagging my consultant about having a machine at home and at every clinic visit he says he will sort it out but never does. I would so much prefer to have this done at home but no-one ever contacts me about it.
Does anyone have any further suggestions. should I contact PALS or is that a ridiculous idea? I live in Peterborough, I dont suppose anyone has the contact details for the home dialysys team/co-ordinator?
I have been on haemo for 6 months after my transplant failed. I used to have peritoneal dialysis and they were eager enough to get me on that but I can't do that anymore
as I had peritonitis. otherwise I would jump at that. but sadly i cannot.
I hate going 45 miles each way to have dialysis. you'd think they would prefer me to do it at home, if anyone can help I would be very grateful PMs welcome . Thank you
wagolynn

Re: Home dialysis

Post by wagolynn »

Hi mildredthecat,

I would imagine the cost will be a factor, with the fuss about hospitals being over budget.

The cost of installing a machine at home what with all the water processing equipment etc. is quite high. Also a home machine only gets used three times a week by one patient, in hospital the machine would have three patients per day six days a week.

The other factors are, has the patient got adequate support at home, if things go wrong they can be life threatening.

Best wishes.
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

I'd always understood that even only being used 3x a week home HD was still cheaper than hospital. Never understood how but I'm told staff and hospital space push up the costs.

Does your hospital have a dialysis co-ordinator - the nurse who will have talked to you about access for you HD and set up your sessions in the first place. I'd ask her.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
mildredthecat

Post by mildredthecat »

Yes I did ask the nurse and she said to ask the consultant. Going round in circles really.
I can't ever have another transplant either as my veins have been damaged by diabetes. If I could have a transplant I wouldn't bother with home dialysis as I.d have something to look forward to but I don't have anything. Sorry to sound negative but really fed up with trailing to Leicester for dialysis 3x a week.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi mildredthecat,

This looks like good news for you. https://www.peterboroughandstamford.nhs ... -hospital/