Donor for iGAN Patient

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Johnylefox

Donor for iGAN Patient

Post by Johnylefox »

I have a donor.
Following my kidneys going AWOL in December I have a donor and it is my cousin. I am 40 and he is 57 non smoker and in good health. He went the doctors off his own back to start the process and blood tests, now we move on to more formal measures.
I meet a surgeon in the hospital in June for a series of test I am told may last up to two hours.
I have already done the treadmill and egg so not sure what these other tests are.
I hope he is a match.
If he is I believe I could be under the knife in 3 to 6 months from now. Anyone got any recent experience of how long the tests take nowadays. I know a previous poster has posted something, I just want to see if it is still a 4/5/6 month process to get tested then allow 3 months to recover.
I just want to get off dialysis.
I feel blessed today.
MatthewC

Re: Donor for iGAN Patient

Post by MatthewC »

Hi
I put a lot of info on the donor process on my blog http://diaryofakidneydonor.blogspot.co.uk/ (donated Oct 2013). I afraid I doubt that your donor can get through the process as quickly as you hope.
HTH

Matthew