early stages query

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Henriettab

early stages query

Post by Henriettab »

Hi
Some of you may remember I have posted previously about Dad aged 90 with stage 4 CKD but this time I am posting about myself.
I had a blood test done recently for thyroid function and the GP said everything was normal and satisfactory but I asked for a print out to take away with me.
I spotted that my GFR was just 65 (aged 48) which somewhat alarmed me as I recognised this being in stage 2 of the kidney decline.
I would appreciate knowing if I can reverse this or need to control what I eat to avoid progression or if this is fairly typical for someone of my age and nothing for me to worry about.
Any advice appreciated.
wagolynn

Re: early stages query

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Henriettab,

My first thought is, go back to your GP and ask about the relevance of this result. eGFR (Estimated GFR) is well known to be error prone, what is more significant is the trend of several measurements. eGFR of 65 is very unlikely to cause you any problems.

Foods: The diet that kidney patients are put on, usually at the time of starting dialysis, is to correct or adjust for the failings of dialysis not to improve kidney function or even to make the kidneys better.

The best advise I know on food is the five a day (fruit or vegetables, note-fruit juice does not count), reduce or eliminate salt to help with keeping blood pressure low. High blood pressure will damage even healthy kidneys.

Exercise, this need not be in a gym, 20mins brisk walking four times a week will do the trick or vacuuming the house is more than enough for one day.

Best wishes.
Henriettab

Re: early stages query

Post by Henriettab »

Many Thanks Wagolyn :)