edema around the eyes

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

lev

edema around the eyes

Post by lev »

can anyone please help me how to treat edema around the eyes? what foods to be avoided? or any herbal medicine that i need to take to take them away? please i need ur help thank you

-God is good all the time-
gnarledcrayon

Re: edema around the eyes

Post by gnarledcrayon »

lev wrote:can anyone please help me how to treat edema around the eyes? what foods to be avoided? or any herbal medicine that i need to take to take them away? please i need ur help thank you

-God is good all the time-

Hiya lev,

There might be other reasons for it, so make sure to mention it (and if it bothers you, don't be afraid to stress it) to your doctor(s).

That said, the first symptom I noticed was facial edema in the morning that gradually disappeared during the day.
It is due to the fact that excess liquid redistribute itself according to you laying down or sitting/standing up.
If your eyes get puffy when you get out of bed in the morning, you can try to sleep with an extra pillow or two. That might help reduce the puffyness around your eyes.

I definitely would not recommend that you start using herbal medicine or make drastic changes to your diet without consulting your doctor(s) first. They need to be informed, otherwise they can't give you the best possible help.
yeh

Post by yeh »

I every evening will have little swollen in my ankle.
So I put 2 pillow under my legs to sleep overnight.
The next day, my legs are ok.
I wonder is it because kidney failure or urine protein problem?
gnarledcrayon

Post by gnarledcrayon »

yeh wrote:I every evening will have little swollen in my ankle.
Hi yeh,

My nephrologists explained to me that when the kidneys leak protein from the blood, the protein levels in the blood are obviously lower than they should be.
Proteins binds with water, so the blood does not retain water as well as it should.

This has 2 consequences:
1. the blood gets thicker (with all the risks that it brings about)
2. the water that is no longer in the blood stream moves outside the blood vessels and causes swelling (edema).
yeh

Post by yeh »

gnarledcrayon wrote:
yeh wrote:I every evening will have little swollen in my ankle.
Hi yeh,

My nephrologists explained to me that when the kidneys leak protein from the blood, the protein levels in the blood are obviously lower than they should be.
Proteins binds with water, so the blood does not retain water as well as it should.

This has 2 consequences:
1. the blood gets thicker (with all the risks that it brings about)
2. the water that is no longer in the blood stream moves outside the blood vessels and causes swelling (edema).
While I am working, ankle are little swollen.
If I am not working.
It is normal
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

The excess water will move around depending on your position. When you are standing it will move down to your feet.
yeh

Post by yeh »

Hi

I have been increase about 3kg since Jan after my prenisolone increase to 20mg per day
And I do eat a lot.i not sure it is excess water or just fat.
yeh

Post by yeh »

I didn take any pass urine medicine.
I can pass out 2 litre urine and my doctor didn restrict my water intake.

So m I swollen?