Incompatible transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Aimee

Incompatible transplant

Post by Aimee »

Hi, I've written a couple of times on this forum and it has always been very helpful.
Right now I am awaiting my live donor transplant (from my partner) on the 8th July!
He is an A+ blood group and I am O+, I have low to medium antibodies.
My question is.. I will be receiving plasmapheresis a couple of weeks before the operation but will I have to stay in hospital overnight for this? Also because the blood type is not a match will the kidney definitely only work for 10 years (I got told) or could it last much longer? I see a lot of yours are still going 30+ years later.
Thanks
SKM23435

Re: Incompatible transplant

Post by SKM23435 »

Aimee,

I can't answer your questions. I was just starting to look at ABO incompatable transplants when I was lucky enough to receive perfect match from a deceased donor.
Let us know how you get on.

Good Luck.
Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Same blood group, different blood group, good match or bad match.....there is no set time on how long the transplant will last. So make the most of the time, live well, stay healthy and have fun.

Sick or healthy, nobody knows how long we will be here so live
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

I had plasmapheresis (15 rounds!) and I was always able to go home afterwards.

It does depend on how they do it. At the start I had it through a temporary line into my groin,. and they wouldn't let me home wile I was having it that way, but once they put in a tesio line into my chest, I was able to come and go as needed.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
Aimee

Post by Aimee »

Thanks for your replies.
You're right, just take each day as it comes, who knows what's around the corner!

15 rounds of plasmapheresis, wow! I'm due to have a neckline fitted 2 weeks before the operation and have 2 rounds before transplant and 1 after and then whip it out! (I hope!) I really don't want to stay overnight any extra!
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

The neck line going in will be the worst part of it all in my opinion.....I hated it!

With a bit of luck it's only in for a few weeks and then it's out, that's a much better feeling. Hope it's only used for the plasmapheresis and no dialysis.

But everything you go through will be worth being dialysis free
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

I found the tesio (chest) line going in to be really easy, a bit of pulling at it was done.

The nicest bit is the piriton they give you to prevent any allergic reaction to the new plasma. It made me doze off and the plasmapheresis was done before I knew it!

Actually scratch that, the nicest bit was the air blanket they put you under to keep you warm while they're putting in the (chilly) plasma. So warm!
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
Aimee

Post by Aimee »

I can't imagine having a neckline in for 2 weeks or more, I'm going to hate it!
Really, wow! I didn't realise plasmapheresis would be like that.

I've just got today's blood results and my function is now 6%, gutted!
At what stage did you start dialysis? (if you did) I doubt they'll leave me at 6? To be honest I feel absolutely fine, no breathlessness, tiredness, swelling... Nothing.
Thanks x