What do you miss?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

gilders

What do you miss?

Post by gilders »

I have been told to enjoy my last few months dialysis free, rather than stress about what lies ahead. I think this is good advice, but I'm worried that once I start dialysis I will start thinking of many things that I wish I had done one last time before dialysis made it impossible or no longer enjoyable.

I hope this isn't upsetting for people to think back, but what would you do if you could have those last few dialysis free months back?
rheaybou

Re: What do you miss?

Post by rheaybou »

I did miss not being able to have a deep soak in the bath once I had my PD access fitted, other than that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was apart from the restrictions placed on diet and fluid. Now post TX the things I missed such as bananas and peanut butter have been replaced by the desire for a rare steak, seafood(shellfish), blue cheese and all the things I am now advised to avoid.....and grapefruit, the devils fruit is a big no.....but I so much want a bit of that nasty fruit.

You will be surprised at how quickly the new life and restrictions become the norm, we are amazing at adapting and making the best of a situation. Control your condition, dont let it control you.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

rheaybou, I was told that 6 months after transplant the foods you mentioned (other than Grapefruit) are ok to have again, I asked at least two different consultants at Guys hospital this question.
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

DeanH wrote:rheaybou, I was told that 6 months after transplant the foods you mentioned (other than Grapefruit) are ok to have again, I asked at least two different consultants at Guys hospital this question.
Cheers Dean, I just follow the diet guidance booklet that I was given pre trnansplant and when I was discharged from Sheffield. I have decided however that a medium ribeye is the greatest steak now, but will give blue chees and shellfish a wide birth.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Dibs

Post by Dibs »

The main thing that I miss is not being able to sleep on my right side after the catheter was fitted. Other than that it is just your freedom from having to do the dialysis everyday. My diet hasn't really changed, except that I perhaps get full quicker.
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

I was on APD. I missed the energy to do things, the inability to just go away for a few nights easily and going to sleep on my left side (didn't drain properly unless I laid on my right).

Not serious. Just life's little challenges.

Good Luck.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15