Recently diagnosed stage 2 - what now?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

AlexOwen

Recently diagnosed stage 2 - what now?

Post by AlexOwen »

Recent urine tests indicate protein (+3) and creatinine blood test indicate stage 2 AFR. Should I not be on Medication? I am diabetic type2 with Hba1c of 6,4 %. Should I see a Nephrologist? I am a complete novice and very naive. Please advise. :roll:
rheaybou

Re: Recently diagnosed stage 2 - what now?

Post by rheaybou »

I would suggest that you discuss these questions/fears with your GP/Doctors.

But simple things such as getting fit/healthy and cutting back on salt intake are things that you should look at. No need to join a gym, just be more active and eat less junk food.

Medication would be for blood pressure, but also some can reduce protien leakage.....but as I have no idea what the numbers/figures represent then I will refer you to my first line.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi AlexOwen,
Sorry to read of your news.

I wonder, are you in the UK? I ask because the blood test results are in an odd form.

I think your AFR equates to the European and UK. eGFR, this is often approximated to % remaining kidney function. This website may help you sort out blood tests, if you are not in the UK or Europe, then search for local information but do take care to verify who is publishing it.

http://www.edren.org/pages/edreninfo/bl ... isease.php If also go to the home page of that site you will find a lot of other useful information.

As rheaybou has already suggested, the best plan is to ask your GP, he knows your medical history.

In general terms, it is important to keep your blood pressure down, (eliminate any added salt and take some exercise) and eat healthily (in the UK the government talks of five portions of fruit or vegetables per day, fruit juice does not count), if this will mean big changes to your diet/lifestyle, it is best to talk it over with your doctor.

Assuming this is not the result of some short-term condition affecting your kidneys, which may be correctable, that is all that needs to be done. If the changes are part of long term kidney failure, it is a waiting game, and no-one knows how long before you reach the point where further intervention is required.

If I have interpreted your results correctly, I would be surprised if you notice any symptoms at the moment.

Best wishes.
AlexOwen

Post by AlexOwen »

Thank you so much for the interest, concern and advice. Yes, AFR was a typo...meant to be eGFR. Alex, Cape Town.