Benign fatty tumours - angiomyolipomas

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Genevieve189

Benign fatty tumours - angiomyolipomas

Post by Genevieve189 »

I had an ultrasound last week as part of the monitoring process for my two kidney stones. Now I've been told that the ultrasound showed Angiomyolipoma. Not sure if there is just one or more, or the size. Has anyone else had these? I've been a little thrown by this and would appreciate any advice.
Solo

Re: Benign fatty tumours - angiomyolipomas

Post by Solo »

Hi Genevieve

I have never heard of these but keep checking back because I know someone will be along soon to try too help

Solo
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Genevieve189,

If you have not already found this: http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-an-angiomyolipoma.htm it may give you some help.

Make a list of your questions and contact your consultant looking for answers, your GP may help.

Best wishes.
Genevieve189

Post by Genevieve189 »

Thank you for replying, Solo and thanks for the extremely useful link, wagolynn. I have found a little information online, but this website is very clear and I'll be able to ask the consultant relevant questions.

I'd like to add that if anyone has these tumours, I would be very pleased to hear from them. I've spoken to two kidney organisations so far and the people on the helplines, while being excellent and really trying to help, have never heard of them. I believe they are quite rare. Following the ultrasound, I had to have a CT scan with contrast and am now waiting for an appointment with my urologist to discuss the results.