Post transplant surgery.

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

rheaybou

Post transplant surgery.

Post by rheaybou »

What are people's experience of surgery post TX?

I need knee surgery and will get a date for it to be done in the next 10-12 weeks. My local hospital were excellent and have been in contact with my renal team, but still it eats away!

Have others all had the same fear/worry or is it just something I have built up as I have put this off for 18 months? Think this is more of a rant/vent than question.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
SKM23435

Re: Post transplant surgery.

Post by SKM23435 »

I guess knee surgery should be ok. It's far enough away from the kidney to avoid physical damage. It should be easy for an anaesthetist to avoid any nephrotoxic drugs. You shouldn't be at risk of dehydration. They can get advice on drug interactions with your transplant drugs.

Not relevant to you. Don't know how justified it is but I think I would be nervous if I was having abdominal surgery - appendicectomy, anything gynae. As its all a bit close. I have wondered if the general and gynaecological surgeons in transplant centres are better at avoiding transplanted kidneys. Do they get more practice?

i guess I know how you feel. I feel very protective of my kidney, I want the very best for it. I want to encourage it to last for years.

Let us know how you get on.

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

I had a nephrectomy on the other side, (see posts passim) and there was no effect on my graft kidney. In factv my creatinine went down, but that was probably because I did nothing but drink water while I was in!
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

I had a caesarian section. That is considered a bit close to the tx kidney and they brought a transplant surgeon into the room in case anything went wrong. They also cut more to one side - the side where the kidney isn't.

The other thing was painkillers. Initially they said paracetamol only and I was quite horrified, having had abdominal surgery before. In the end they set up morphine. (In fact they were correct that a horizontal cut to the abdomen isn't that painful and I only hit the button once or twice.) Maybe worth double checking what they plan for you.

Altogether it was a good coordinated effort between teams. But not quite the same as your situation where you're in a different hospital.

Best of luck with the knee, hope the operation sorts it out.

Amanda
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Had my keyhole surgery today as a day patient.

Forgot how horrible the taste the gas/anaesthetic leaves in your mouth. All went well and I have a long weekend to recover, have work sorting me taxis for two weeks while I am unable to drive. Fingers crossed this resolves the problem. Codeine and paracetamol for pain relief.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Glad it's all over, Richard. Hope you recover quickly and it sorts out the problem.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010