Cycling whilst on APD

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Pinkdiamonds14

Cycling whilst on APD

Post by Pinkdiamonds14 »

Me again! My dad is a very keen cyclist and up to a month or so ago was cycling about 100 miles per week. He had been advised by a PD nurse that he would be able to continue cycling once on APD but would have to drain all/some fluid before doing so, which apparently is fairly standard for those doing exercise. However yesterday he was given some conflicting information and is now quite concerned he won't be able to do so. I was wondering if any of you had cycled whilst on APD? I have searched the forum and a lady called Fabrette did so but she hasn't posted for a couple of years. I can't believe that everyone stops exercising whilst on APD. Thank you once again.
Dibs

Re: Cycling whilst on APD

Post by Dibs »

Hello again. I recently started on APD. I was initially on 1.5l of daytime fluid. I am skinny and that made me feel bloated the more I did through the day. As I seem to be processing the fluid ok, my nurse has now adjusted the machine to leave 1.2l in and it is easier.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Pinkdiamonmds,
Follow the advice of the medical staff involved in his case. If the conflicting information came from his medical team seek clarification from the team.

In principle, exercise is good, it may take a while to find the best conditions under which to take the exercise (how much fluid to be left in etc.)

It is important to remember everyone's case is different, only the patients medical team have the full picture. What works for one may not work for another.

Best wishes.
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Hi Pinkdiamonds,

I cycled for miles (all be it in the gym on a stationary bike) while on APD. I had to slow down a bit and maybe not go as far as time progressed. Just had to listen to my body. However I did not have any day time fill. I didn't realise at the time that this was quite unusual. I'd been advised it was ok to carry on with all activity apart from swimming in the sea (not my scene anyway) and contact sports. It's actually the lack of energy and stamina that gets you. I was just keen to remain as fit as possible in case I was ever lucky enough to get a transplant.

Clarify things with your nurses. They will have been asked before. They will have practical advice.

Best wishes
Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15