Travel and eGFR

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Johnylefox

Travel and eGFR

Post by Johnylefox »

My eGFR has been falling like a rocket.
35 in October, 25 December 20 early Jan.
I accept the inevitable.
I am still working and travelling. My maximum flight time is 7 hours. I often end up in Europe within 2 or 4 hours of home.
This will end soon, I know.
What is the lowest eGFR I can fly with?
I was fine until I started Pred in December now I eat and sleep more, only other symptoms swollen ankles. I feel ok. asking ok etc…
Should I get hung up on GFR or just how I feel (which is not great but I attribute mainly to pred)?
Going to try some IV steroids next week and a biopsy.
Good luck.
MandyA

Re: Travel and eGFR

Post by MandyA »

You can fly when you are on dialysis!

Your hospital would probably want you to be stabilised first, and it takes a bit of organisation, but it is possible.

Best wishes,
Mandy
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Why the max flight time?

I flew to Thailand (12ish hours I think) at 15%. I got proper compression socks (i.e. the ones you get fitted for in surgical appliances) and no sign of puffiness at all!

It's all about how you feel. I know people who were on dialysis at 20%, and a lady who I think was still up and about (no dialysis) at 6%!
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

I couldn't be covered on my company travel insurance once they learned I was having to start dialysis, this was at 8% function. When I discovered my problems via a GP visit so wasn't aware just months earlier I had been in India with end stage renal failure, but I felt fine.

I was booked in for a trip into China a few months after diagnosis and also advised to not travel due to risks. You have to weigh up the risks/chance of needing dialysis while overseas in an emergency and if you are happy to take that/can be insured then why not still travel? Once joining the transplant list you may not want to travel overseas as this suspends you for the time away.

Lots of things to consider/discuss with family and Drs.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.