T-1 week to transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Jason1976

T-1 week to transplant

Post by Jason1976 »

Hi all

I am a week away from transplant. I must say that the time has passed by so quickly!

Had a tunnel catheter put in yesterday and my first dialysis session yesterday, it was quick and not as bad as the dreadful process I was thinking it was going to be - or perhaps it's the same way for everything in hindsight! :lol:

2 more dialysis sessions to go, one on Friday and another as an inpatient on Monday before surgery on Wednesday, then begins the long process of recovery but I'll take it a step at a time!

Thanks for all the support and all the helpful information - it has been immensely encouraging and informative reading through the posts and looking forward to sharing my transplant experiences after
SKM23435

Re: T-1 week to transplant

Post by SKM23435 »

Jason,

Good Luck for next week.
It's exciting, feels a bit scary but it's so worthwhile.

I'm sure you are in good hands.
Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes
Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

Good luck and all the best Jason, look forward to hearing how the recovery goes.
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Jason,

You are right, it does seem to sneak up on you after a long a drawn out process. That final session feels like the longest run, but it is so worth it and fingers crossed it is your last run for many years. Not having seen your story before I can only wish you and your donor the very best. You have nothing to fear as you are in the care of the best the NHS has to offer.

Have no fear of the tunnel line coming out or the stent. I would however advise/ask for a rolled up towel to help you in the first week or so after TX. Slight pressure against the op site helps with the discomfort you will feel when getting up/down, walking and also if you have to cough or even worse......sneeze!

Oh, never be more than 30 seconds from a toilet too!

Once again best of luck and look forward to hearing of you both having a swift recovery.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Jason,
Best wishes.
MidgeMan90

Post by MidgeMan90 »

All the best Jason!

I'll be rooting for you next week!
Diagnosed with end stage renal failure out of the blue - 11/02/2010
Haemo - February 2010 - April 2010
APD - May 2010 - June 23/2011
Transplanted via live donor - 24/06/2011.

Doing my best to look after that kidney.
sporti

Post by sporti »

Good luck! Can I suggest you make a point of cutting right down on sugar so you don't get post transplant diabetes. Look forward to reading your posts from other side!!
Jason1976

Post by Jason1976 »

Thanks everyone!

Just back from the emergency room because the catheter exit wound was seeping blood the entire evening. Emergency staff couldn't really detect the cause so they changed the bandage and asked me to check with the dialysis center tomorrow when I come in for my dialysis. Guess I'll be sleeping sitting up tonigh :D

Immunosupression starts on Sunday and I'll be warded in isolation from Monday until the transplant on Wednesday. Stocking up on books to read!
Jason1976

Post by Jason1976 »

Hi everyone

I'm happy to report that the surgery went well. Both Sister and I are doing well, though she is still getting bouts of nausea from the morphine.

The new kidney appears to be working well, pumping out 500-600ml of urine/hour. They are currently flushing me with lots of saline and the doc says that typically new kidneys tend to work overtime in the beginning. Pain is manageable with oral painkillers, haven't had to hit the morphine that much. The most uncomfortable part for me is the urine catheter which I will need to keep in place for 5 days!

I'm really happy and grateful the hard part is over. Looking forward to recovery and getting my hands on a cheeseburger!! :)
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

That's great news mate! Hope you and your sister recover well!
Jason1976

Post by Jason1976 »

Thanks Dean!

All the Doctors and Nurses say I'm recovering remarkably well. I was lucid and asking for a cheeseburger when they wheeled me out of surgery:)

Today I've been allowed to Wal around the room and to sit up in the chair and do some reading. Sister still has pain walks very slowly so I try not to look so cheerful in front of her! She gets discharged in 2 days while I'm here for another 4. Looking forward to progressing onto more solid foods tomorrow (porridge I think) instead of the baby food they're feeding me today!
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Great to hear that all went well.

I suffered less than my donor, they lose something and you gain. Keep walking/moving and get out soon!
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Delighted to hear all going well.
Hope your sister is feeling better soon too.

All the best to you both

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Great stuff, well done to your sister - hope you both recover quickly. xx
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
MidgeMan90

Post by MidgeMan90 »

Yes Jason! Well done to you and especially your brave sister.

Have cheeseburger for me when you can!

All the best,

Dan :D
Diagnosed with end stage renal failure out of the blue - 11/02/2010
Haemo - February 2010 - April 2010
APD - May 2010 - June 23/2011
Transplanted via live donor - 24/06/2011.

Doing my best to look after that kidney.