eGFR Down 30% in 6 months to 20%

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Johnylefox

eGFR Down 30% in 6 months to 20%

Post by Johnylefox »

I was diagnised with IGA two years ago on New Years Day 2014.
EGFR was 60 and above.
Two month ago (4 December 2015) eGFR was 35 so I came off Ibersartan. As of Christmas Eve eGFR was 25.
I started pred 60mg on Christmas day.
EGFR is now 200.

My creatinine has just been rising, rising, rising.

I have done everything, taken the meds, controlled BP etc.. but nothing can stop the IGA.

From the experience of others, how close am I to dialysis and transplant being required? Will it take months, weeks?

I have gone from being fit as a fiddle (or so it seemed) to being a rust bucket, in 24 months.

THanks for listening.
wagolynn

Re: eGFR Down 30% in 6 months to 20%

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Johnylefox,
As a rough rule of thumb, dialysis is usually started when eGFR gets down in the 10 - 12% range. Your general health is also part of the calculation. How long it will take you to get there is unknown.
MandyA

Post by MandyA »

If you are hoping for a deceased donor transplant (rather than a transplant from a living donor) you should be accepted on the waiting list when your eGFR drops to 15 or below.

Regards,
Mandy
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

It all depends on how well you feel. I know people who went on dialysis as soon as they hit 15% (and maybe before) and I was privileged to meed a lady who was still not on dialysis at 4%!

One thing that I did, that I counsel you not to do is to get too fixated on the numbers and don't try to figure out how you 'ought' to be feeling. If you still feel good, live your life as you would.

I got being ill in my head and lost 12 months of my life behaving as though I were ill, when I didn't need to.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life