Risks of general anaesthetic to CKD3 patients

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

allen-uk

Risks of general anaesthetic to CKD3 patients

Post by allen-uk »

Hello.

I've got to have an ear polyp removed, and they've tried with what they call 'local' anaesthesia - actually, Emla cream, stuffed down to the ear drum - not very anaesthetic, hurt like hell, and anyway the doc couldn't get the polyp out.

So now the talk is General Anaesthetic. I have coronary artery disease (helped by a stent a couple of years ago), and stage 3 CKD, which has been stable for some years.

Question is, while I know that the heart-stopping operations are most definitely BAD for any sort of kidney patients, how about a 'light' dose of General Anaesthesia? The removal operation would take about ten minutes!

Has anyone any experience of GA with CKD3, or similar? It would be extremely helpful to hear.

Thanks.

Allen.
wagolynn

Re: Risks of general anaesthetic to CKD3 patients

Post by wagolynn »

Hi allen-uk,

I would not worry, the anaesthetists will look into your medical records, and may arrange some tests. If there is a significant risk they will advise you. There is always a very small risk with a general, about 1-2 in 200,000 but the mythical bus is more likely to get you first.

Best wishes
allen-uk

Post by allen-uk »

Ta for that.

I shall look out for buses...
HannahW

Post by HannahW »

allen-uk wrote:Hello.

I've got to have an ear polyp removed, and they've tried with what they call 'local' anaesthesia - actually, Emla cream, stuffed down to the ear drum - not very anaesthetic, hurt like hell, and anyway the doc couldn't get the polyp out.

So now the talk is General Anaesthetic. I have coronary artery disease (helped by a stent a couple of years ago), and stage 3 CKD, which has been stable for some years.

Question is, while I know that the heart-stopping operations are most definitely BAD for any sort of kidney patients, how about a 'light' dose of General Anaesthesia? The removal operation would take about ten minutes!

Has anyone any experience of GA with CKD3, or similar? It would be extremely helpful to hear.

Thanks.

Allen.
Hi Allen, did everything go ok? I need to have a polyp removed from my ear too with general anesthesia. I'm a bit worried.