dialysis

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

leroy0600

dialysis

Post by leroy0600 »

hi agian i posted here before i have another question seen kidney doc today i have to start dialysis i have a a appointment to see a surgeon next week for evaluation to put a cateter in whoud would like to know anything about how it is done i will be having apd sure hope when this all done an on dialysis i feel better hope one minds all the questions
Elaine

p/d cath good luck Leroy ;)

Post by Elaine »

Hiya my daughter had her p/d cath put in under general anaesthetic which she much prefferrred to be 'out of it' so as 2 speak. :roll: Everyone different but have heard many varied stories depends wot u want uself. Some people find it not 2 uncomfortable. My daughter was in alot of pain but had mismanagement post op pain relief :(- hence since then have offered adequate pain relief after insertion etc. However again everyone feels different levels of pain. :?

She too ahs been on APD 17 mnths now and has to have her kidneys removed in 4wks time as losing soooo much protein but is quite an exceptional case Im told by Drs. She is 16 now and started when she was 14. We have coped fairly well with dialyis itself but long to get her bak on transplant list and hopefully 'sorted' soon. :roll:

Good luck 2 u the NKF have good website too with info etc and this boards forums for info too ;)

best wishes Elaine & Rachael :wink: UK
R30

CAPD/APD Catheter

Post by R30 »

Hi Leroy
I had the operation to insert a catheter just three week's ago, and have started CAPD in the last week. The operation itself is fine - I was going to have local anaesthesia, but ended up having a general as I was too jumpy for the surgeon. I found the post-op trauma easy to cope with, and discharged myself from hospital the same day as my op. The pain afterwards was kept at bay with two day's worth of cocodamol (codeine and paracetamol tablets) - however beware - this can lead to constipation which isn't good for the catheter.
I know you are starting APD which is a little different to CAPD, but the principle is the same. I have found it no problem - if a little boring to be honest, but easily manageable (especially considering I have to dialyse in three different places every day!)
Thanks
Ruth