hysterectomy.

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

CAROL COLEMAN

hysterectomy.

Post by CAROL COLEMAN »

Question for the ladies.
has any transplant patient had a hysterectomy since having a transplant.

keen to hear any coments on how things went and did it cause complications for the kidney transplant.

CAROL.
C Coleman
Lessard

Re: hysterectomy.

Post by Lessard »

Pretty sure there’s nothing to be worried about, though I can’t be sure and I think that it would require further investigation for taking any decisions. However, this woman had full hysterectomy and it haven’t affected her “other” symptoms. Plus, although I’m not a doctor, I don’t see anything what would connect your kidneys and hysterectomy.
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Lessard,

I think you miss Carol's point.
The transplanted kidney lies very close to the uterus/womb. In removing the uterus will the transplant be affected?
Technically they are separate it's the thought of a gynaecologist (or anyone else for that matter) touching the kidney to get to their area of interest. I think both get their blood supply from the femoral artery.

Carol, I'd love to know if you find out and how you get on. I have an issue in that area. Not sure as to the finer points until I get my MRI result next week, but I've already been told that further action is required (whatever that may mean!).

There was in interesting post in a recent fertility thread by amandaclare talking about having a Caesarian with a transplanted kidney.

Best wishes
Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Lessard

Post by Lessard »

oops... it could be. i'm sorry about that. :oops:
i guess i would have my homework done better next time :roll:
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

I would not worry about it, they know you have a transplant, and will plan the operation with that in mind.

Best wishes.
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Carol,

I would discuss with your renal team and get their input. It must be a scenario they have come across a number of times before. I'd be loath to let an enthusiastic gynaecologist in a DGH loose on me without reassurance from my team.

Sue
Started APD July 2014
Transplant 9/5/15
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Carol,

I had the opportunity to ask a consultant gynaecologist about hysterectomy and transplants. She actually works in a DGH and says she has done a few. It was a social not a professional conversation.

Apparently it doesn't create a problem technically. You may find the scar is not as central as it would be without a transplant. She said that the kidney is superficial and easily slides away from the area they would be operating (just think of how it may move when you turn over in bed). The only thing the surgeon needs to be careful about is the plumbing of the transplant into the bladder. The transplant doesn't make the operation any more difficult.

I guess the thing is to choose your surgeon. Ask them how many times they have done this operation on a kidney transplant patient.

Hope this helps
Sue
Started APD July 2014
Transplant 9/5/15