fistula

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

CAROL COLEMAN

fistula

Post by CAROL COLEMAN »

Hi
had my transplant 4yrs. Had infection last week where my bp droped.
it has now stopped my fistula and caused a clot. Now got a swollen fistula area
and very painful. Has anyone else had this.

thanks carol.
C Coleman
xChris

Re: fistula

Post by xChris »

my fistula (right arm) developed a clot just a couple of months ago, (22yrs after the transplant), pain lasted a couple of weeks, what annoys me now is that the hand is somewhat cold and a bit more swollen than the other one....
CAROL COLEMAN

Post by CAROL COLEMAN »

Thank you for reply.
my fistula area is swollen and right on the crease of my arm.
did yours swell up like this.

carol
C Coleman
xChris

Post by xChris »

I did not experience such symptom, but IIRC the doc told me that the pain could go till the crease of the arm.
What helped me a little, I elevated the arm from time to time and when I was in the bed, I put a pillow under it. I assume you already visited your GP/nephrologist about it, right?

hope everything is going well..

chris
CAROL COLEMAN

Post by CAROL COLEMAN »

Thanks chris
yes under transplant clinic bristol. Im on two week arm rest to see if swelling goes
down to make my arm comfortable. Go back on the 30th.
Let you know how it goes.

CAROL
C Coleman
bobisob

Post by bobisob »

Is there any possibility that dialysis can be performed without having a fistula? A friend of mine claims he has dialysis but I have never seen any tube called fistula in his arm forearm or nowhere. I just think he lies about having dialysis. Id like to know if there's any other possibility of having dialysis without having fistula? Please help.

Lukasz
xChris

Post by xChris »

two options: via fistula or Peritoneal dialysis (PD), fistula is not necessary on forearm depends of bad/difficult vascular access.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Your friend could be on Peritoneal dialysis (tube near belly button).

Haemodialysis (HD) can, and often is, started via a neck line (tube in neck or upper chest).

A fistula access for HD does not show tubes when not dialysing, the arm will have needle scars in the active area.
A fistula has a buzz or thrill, rather than a clear pulse.

Some surgeons are now fitting grafts under the skin in arms or legs, so again nothing visible between sessions.
A graft access, is where a silicon rubber tube is used to replace a section of blood vessel, in the past this tube was brought out through the skin, for a length then returned under the skin to re-join the blood vessel, the dialysis needles being stuck into the graft (tube) at each session.
bobisob

Post by bobisob »

Thank you both for replies. To be honest my friend is my partner and I think he's looking for attention and tells everybody he's going thru dialysis. The thing he told me is that they stick needles in his both arms and he's connected to the machine so there's no tube no fistula no graft or wherever else you call them. Looked up online to find out that fitting a fistula is an operation performed about 4-8 weeks before the dialysis itself starts. Plus he told me he has had his few dialysis in a surgery practice(we talk about UK). Have you ever heard or is it possible to have dialysis at a surgery practice?
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

You can't have dialysis without some sort of access, either a neckline, fistula or PD catheter.. As far as I know there's 1 GP surgery in the UK that has a small number of dialysis machines. Its common to have 'satellite' units, units that are not right near a hospital, but have trained nurses and a Dr available.

See this sites own guides and diagrams on how dialysis treatments work.

http://kidneypatientguide.org.uk/dialysis.php

You'd have noticed a fistula on your friends arm if you've seen it. 2 needle puncture holes are sort of visible.

The same for a Gore-Tex graft (not silicon)

Maybe your friend is having some other treatment?
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast