FIrst CAPD

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

AL. UK

FIrst CAPD

Post by AL. UK »

I had my first bag exchange today three weeks after having the catheter fitted.
First problem was that there was infection in the fluid drained off thought to be peritonitis.Tests came back negative.(thank goodness)
Took more blood and urine tests.Had another bag exchange and was allowed home.I have to go back in tomorrow but the question I want ask is did anyone have excrutiating pain when the fluid was draining out.THe pain all round the testicles felt like I was trying to pass urine but there was a blockage. The nurse said this was normal and showed the catheter was in the right place.( this was more than a slight pain!!!!!!!!!)
HAs anyone ever had this pain and did it eventually ease off?
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Hi Al,

Yes, I remember very well the pain when I first began PD. I wondered what on Earth had I let myself in for! Your nurse is correct. It is normal to have pain initially. I likened it to when I was learning to play guitar many years ago. At first my fingers were very sore but they gradually toughened up. Not a very technical explanation but the effect of the catheter in your abdomen is similar. Remember you are still healing from surgery and you now have a foreign body within your peritoneum - rubbing things the wrong way!

I learned to slow down the drain by closing the catheter a little. I found this would ease the pain. I learned this by accident one day when the pain was bad and I closed the transfer set because I had had enough. The pain disappeared! I learned to close completely for a few moments or to close partially to slow the drain.

Sometimes the catheter can lie in an area where there is very little fluid and can pull on the peritoneum. It can help to change positions. For example, I would feel pain on my left side so would lean over to the left in order for the fluid to fall to that side.

You will soon learn what will work for you. The pain will soon ease and you will only then only feel the slight tugging which will signify the drain is complete.

Congratulations on beginning PD. I pray it will be as good for you as it was for me.

Anne
Cheryl in CT

discomfort on starting PD

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Al, I did exactly what Anne recommended when starting PD. I would shut the valve completely and catch my breath, then ease it back on slowly and leave it open only to the point that it wasn't painful. After picking up on that trick, I NEVER started it off at "full speed" again - either on filling or draining. I would always ease into it very slowly, and it really wasn't painful at all. (Weird - YES! but painful, NO...)

Best of luck to you, and may your stint on PD be short & uneventful, with much better things to come.

thinking of you & wishing you all the best,

Cheryl
R30

CAPD Catheter

Post by R30 »

Hi Al
Yes, I too have just started CAPD in the last two days and am finding it very manageable. My catheter also causes a little pain when I have to catch my breath (it sits on my bladder sometimes), but the pain isn't so bad I can't deal with it.
My renal nurse has told me that this is the body's way of getting used to having fluid inside that isn't meant to be there and that once everything has stretched a bit (can take a couple of weeks), you shouldn't feel anything.
My advice would be to give yourself a bit more time to settle into it and I think you'll find the pain will subside.
Hope this helps.
Ruth
amanda in CA

drain pain

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, the pain does go as you get used to doing the PD. I've been on it for over a year now and I sometimes get the odd discomfort at the end of the drain cycle. Changing position can ease it, as can slowing down the flow as others have suggested. Stick with it, amanda
LadySycamore

Re: FIrst CAPD

Post by LadySycamore »

AL. UK wrote:I had my first bag exchange today three weeks after having the catheter fitted.
First problem was that there was infection in the fluid drained off thought to be peritonitis.Tests came back negative.(thank goodness)
Took more blood and urine tests.Had another bag exchange and was allowed home.I have to go back in tomorrow but the question I want ask is did anyone have excrutiating pain when the fluid was draining out.THe pain all round the testicles felt like I was trying to pass urine but there was a blockage. The nurse said this was normal and showed the catheter was in the right place.( this was more than a slight pain!!!!!!!!!)
HAs anyone ever had this pain and did it eventually ease off?
Hello Al. Are you doing this manually or via machine? If you are on the machine, there is a setting called "tidal" that is known to help with "drain pain". You may want to ask your docs about it. If you are doing this manually, then the pain should go away shortly. Your body is just adjusting to the PD and you haven't been on it for very long.

Hope that helped. 8)
Dialyze.org:
http://dialyze.org/forums/index.php
Chatroom, Support, Advocacy and more!

Dialyze.org MemberGroup on MSN:
http://groups.msn.com/Dialyze-orgMember ... sages.msnw
R30

CAPD bag exchange

Post by R30 »

Hi Al
Further to my last posting, I can say that I've begun to experience the pain you are talking about and my God does it hurt!!! I was left breathless and sweating last night. Been into hospital today and was told that as soon as the pain starts, to shut off the clamp on the catheter and assume the drain is virtually complete (I told them that I still drain even with the pain, but they told me that it's better to leave a little fluid in right now rather than risk injuring my peritoneum).
Hope this helps. Talk to your hospital about it - obviously your anatomy is different from mine, but I would assume that the pain is the same.
Cheers
Ruth