getting a shower with a line? help!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Jamezb09

getting a shower with a line? help!

Post by Jamezb09 »

A friend of mine has had problems with his fistula so hes had a tessio line in for quite some time. He would love to be able to get a proper shower but is frightened of getting it wet, so my question is, has anybody found a reliable way to have a shower and keep it totally dry without having to worry about it getting wet? Any help is appreciated thanks
22 Y/O
X linked alports syndrome
Been on hemodialysis since august '14
Tibbs

Re: getting a shower with a line? help!

Post by Tibbs »

When I had a tesio in, I used a tegaderm (or two) to shower in. They do huge ones (like A4 size) that covers everything he would need it to. I had to shave my chest in order to get a good seal, but I have a very hairy chest. Afterwards, I used to give the ends of the lines a wipe with the purple liquid you get and replace the cotton wool. Since he has a 'permanent' line in, he should get all this stuff free of charge either from his GP or from the hospital. I used to just nick it off the trolley in outpatients.

I had a shower every day like this, and it didn't cause an issue.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Hi,

I've had my tesio line in since July. It's kept covered with a small tagederm dressing. I have found that this keeps it all nice and dry.

Speak to your clinic they should be able to advise you.

Happy showering!

Dotty
47 years old.
IGA Nephropathy diagnosed May 2013 with eGFR of 22%
PD dialysis started May 2014
3rd PD catheter fitted and failed July 2014
Hemodialysis started July 2014

Red Lippy and PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) gets me through each day!
Jamezb09

Post by Jamezb09 »

Thanks for the replies :) I didn't realize the way lines are kept varied else I would have been a little bit more specific on the original post, our lines are wrapped tightly in a gause dressing and taped up, we have both asked the nurses if there is anything they can give us (I still have my line for the time being) but we never seem to get any decent answer, they just say 'some patients wrap it up with a bag' or something along those lines, teggaderm sounds like a good idea but I think it would stick to the gause and be difficult to take off so I'm not sure if that would be a viable option
22 Y/O
X linked alports syndrome
Been on hemodialysis since august '14
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

I have a PD tube rather than a Tesco line. I use Tegaderm to keep it dry while I do water sports.
I have my usual dressing, then cover this with a piece of gauze and the Tegaderm on top. At the end of the activity I remove Tegaderm and gauze and the underlying dressings are still in tact.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Hi again,

My tesio lines also have gauze wrapped around them, I just replace it after my shower. I find the tagederm keeps the wound dry.

Your unit should be able to prove gauze and tape if not try speaking to your gp.

Dotty
47 years old.
IGA Nephropathy diagnosed May 2013 with eGFR of 22%
PD dialysis started May 2014
3rd PD catheter fitted and failed July 2014
Hemodialysis started July 2014

Red Lippy and PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) gets me through each day!
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Jamezb09 wrote:Thanks for the replies :) I didn't realize the way lines are kept varied else I would have been a little bit more specific on the original post, our lines are wrapped tightly in a gause dressing and taped up, we have both asked the nurses if there is anything they can give us (I still have my line for the time being) but we never seem to get any decent answer, they just say 'some patients wrap it up with a bag' or something along those lines, teggaderm sounds like a good idea but I think it would stick to the gause and be difficult to take off so I'm not sure if that would be a viable option
Mine were the same - the Tegaderm goes over absolutely everything.

I used to wind my lines around the wound site and leave the ends pointing down, so I had to cover as little area as possible. I got to be able to use an A5 sized tegaderm towards the end, which worked as long as I didn't stretch too much.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Dotty wrote:Hi again,

My tesio lines also have gauze wrapped around them, I just replace it after my shower. I find the tagederm keeps the wound dry.

Your unit should be able to prove gauze and tape if not try speaking to your gp.

Dotty
I replaced mine every time I showered, which was every day. I also replaced the split dressing that went over the entry site and washed everywhere with the purple solution.
jbell

Post by jbell »

I have asked a few times in my unit and they wont give me tagaderm, in fact they say there is nothing but to be careful. I use a seat in shower now when washing hair with a plastic glove wrapped around line ! I just have to lean forward so the water doesnt touch ,ine and if I am washing I just keep the shower head low enough it again doesnt touch my line, its a real pain doing it this way but it does work. Is there anywhere else I could get tagaderm from ? ....Jan
Age 48
CKD diagnosed 2010
Diabetic chronic complications since age 12
Registered Blind 2000
Need kidney/pancreas tx
Egfr 12
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

It's really tough getting the bigger Tegaderms you need to cover a site like that. I've done a quick search and the largest seem to be 4" square, which is no good. Maybe you could contact 3M direct? The big ones are quite expensive though. :(

Can you speak to your GP? They may be able to prescribe them.

Or you could be a little sneaky and ask the nurses on your ward or clinic. Whenever I was in hospital I used to make sure I came home with gauze, tegaderms, antiseptic wash, tape, all the stuff I knew I'd need for the next few weeks. Eventually they get tired of getting stuff for you and just let you raid the cupboard! ;)

Needless to say I only took enough stuff to last me until my next visit.
sanela

Post by sanela »

jbell wrote:I have asked a few times in my unit and they wont give me tagaderm, in fact they say there is nothing but to be careful. I use a seat in shower now when washing hair with a plastic glove wrapped around line ! I just have to lean forward so the water doesnt touch ,ine and if I am washing I just keep the shower head low enough it again doesnt touch my line, its a real pain doing it this way but it does work. Is there anywhere else I could get tagaderm from ? ....Jan
Jan, I have an unopened box of tegaderm that I used when I had the lines. I think it's the 4in size (I'm not at home right now but will check). At the time a friend was working in DC so she brought me a couple of boxes at half the price they were here.
I must say it is almost 5 years old and there was an expiration date on it but you can have it if you want it. I can't see anything being wrong with it other than maybe not sticking but I don't want to open the boc on the off chance. Incidentally, I have a few spare ones from the other box and they stick just fine (a friend used one recently on a surgical scar) I've kept the box in a cool dark place (in a large box with all my medication).
I am in London, if you are not I'll happily post it to you.

Sanela
Walter, 15 september 2009
amjadrabbani

Post by amjadrabbani »

hi i have had many tesio i always use sandwich bag wrapped around the line and sandwich bag folded square then taped with surgical tape on edges and i shower or beach when showering i shower around the line avoid it getting too wet i get a good shower 95 percent of my body cleaned and tesio line pretty dry and in 11 years of tesio i havent had any infection only once due to a new line put in not due to wetness thank god.
amjadrabbani

Post by amjadrabbani »

on the beach i usually go waist height and not fully submerged