Can diet and exercise reverse kidney failure

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

djderby555

Can diet and exercise reverse kidney failure

Post by djderby555 »

Hi all,

I was just wondering if you know whether changing your diet and doing more exercise can reverse kidney failure or prevent it getting worse. I have stage 5 kidney failure, my kidney function is around 15% and I am looking at alternative treatments other than dialysis or transplantation.

Thanks
Tibbs

Re: Can diet and exercise reverse kidney failure

Post by Tibbs »

When I was first diagnosed with CKD I was told 'There's nothing you can do to make it better or worse'. Now that wasn't entirely true, as well-controlled Blood Pressure is important to maintaining kidney function. However, aside from that, there's really not much else you can do.

Part of it comes down to the type of disease you have. I have IgA Nephropathy, which turns my kidneys into scar tissue. No amount of eating right or exercise is going to turn scar tissue back into tubules and glomeruli.

I don't want to be a downer, but the short answer is, no, there're no magic bullets to fix renal failure.

Both transplant and dialysis are very very expensive treatments. If there were a cheaper way, the NHS would be using it.

A big part of my being able to maintain a positive attitude is accepting that kidney failure has happened, it's not my fault and I can't do anything about it. All I can do is make the best of the situation, take my tablets religiously and do all that I can to protect my transplant.

I realise that hitting stage 5 and going through the transplant / dialysis prep is very daunting and very upsetting. Like you I hoped against hope that something would happen, that they'd suddenly find a cure or that they would realise that I was misdiagnosed all those years ago and that it was all a big mistake. Neither of those things happened.

In terms of things that I have seen tried are immuno-suppresants for IgA sufferers (I was on those) though the jury is undecided on their effectiveness, and taking lots of fish oil tablets, with the same inconclusive results. These may be worth investigating with your doctor.

Whilst having kidney failure is part of your life, it shouldn't be your life. A transplant has made me feel better than I have in the past 5 years at least, and I met an inspirational man who had been on dialysis for 30 years, had a wife and child and a full life.

Anyway you probably didn't want this dissertation, but I hope it helps, even just a little.

/edit

I've just read your posts on the welcome page - It may not seem so, but things are rarely as bad as they seem. Whilst I dodged dialysis, lots of people here have gone through what you have an will be able to guide you on your way whatever your decision. There are people on here who have experience of declining treatment (though maybe not directly). You won't find judgement here whatever your decision. We know first hand just how tough this kidney business is, and a lot of people who are in your situation react exactly as you do. Most people decide to try dialysis, and find out that it is manageable and it can be part of a lived life.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi djderby555,
Tibbs has said it all really, keep BP down with exercise, no salt, and medication, get as near as you can to the five-a-day the medics want everyone to eat and try to ignore the condition.

Best wishes.
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Hi djderby555

responding to this thread, and your posts on the other.

In 2006, aged 38, I 'crash landed' at Guy's Hospital with around 6% kidney function. Since then I reckon I've had the best years of my life, and that's included times on each kind of dialysis, peritoneal and Haemo, I had a transplant in 2007, then a second in 2012, both from living donors. I've got married, had a daughter, and feel like I'm facing middle age as positively as most other 46 year-olds - I still need to lose a bit of weight and do some more exercise (been singing that song for a LOOOONG time!). but life is good. Getting to know how hospitals work from the inside as a very frequent flyer, and getting to appreciate some of the amazing things that go on there, and learning how to love the places, has been an adventure - as have all the operations, and other visits (which, with kidney failure almost always have left me feeling better than when I went in).

If you're feeling that way inclined, I'd say go for exactly the kind of diet you describe, and frankly, any other kind of 'alternative' treatment that doesn't actively harm you. Who knows - I have an open mind about many of those. But find an NHS consultant you like and work with them too. I think you might have a positive experience - got to run.

bb
codyedwardwilliams

Post by codyedwardwilliams »

If you are overweight and your doctor would like you to lose extra pounds, exercise is a great way to burn fat. Exercise also strengthens muscles. Exercise also helps condition one of the most important muscles in your body, the heart. Although these are not exactly the ones that can treat kidney failure, but they help to keep your body resistance strong.
foam

Post by foam »

The kidneys can heal from minor damage and from inflammation but scar tissue is scar tissue. Long story short, yes you can improve them if you can stop the disease that's damaging them. Priority one is controlling the disease though (for me that means immune suppression and a grain free diet).

Even if you get a transplant you have to be on top of the original disease or it will just continue to damage the next kidney and the next etc.
sporti

Post by sporti »

Hi

I don't believe that diet and exercise can reverse kidney failure but there's no doubt in my mind that it can certainly help to keep it stable x
Dylanmace

Post by Dylanmace »

How have I gone from 4% to26% in 2 weeks , is This because mine was not disease but a case of taking ibaprofen to many times a week, I about confused ??
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi,

Patients with kidney failure are advised not to take anti inflammatory drugs, the only pain killer recommended is paracetamol.

Ask your GP or better still your consultant, about the cause of your illness, they have the complete picture, it is useless speculating with only part of the picture.
Matty Vim

Post by Matty Vim »

djderby555 wrote:Hi all,

I was just wondering if you know whether changing your diet and doing more exercise can reverse kidney failure or prevent it getting worse. I have stage 5 kidney failure, my kidney function is around 15% and I am looking at alternative treatments other than dialysis or transplantation.

Thanks
It won't reverse it, but exercise is good for overall health. You should see your doctor before beginning an exercise program. This article may be helpful: https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/stayfit