You just don't know what is around the corner

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

amanda in CA

You just don't know what is around the corner

Post by amanda in CA »

I must admit to spending a fair amount of time worrying about my future with renal failure. Yesterday, something happened that put everything into perspective. Our long-standing family friend died in a diving accident, he would have been 44 next week. His wife has an 18 month old child with another one on the way. He had so much to live for. All of a sudden it made me realise that no-one knows what is around the corner for them, and I have decided that from now on I am going to live for the now and stop worrying about what the future may hold. Amanda in CA
oldborris

Post by oldborris »

You are so right, Amanda. A couple of months ago I was an in-patient in hospital for a week. My neighbouring bed was occupied by a bloke [not a renal patient] with whom I got on well and, being both discharged at about the same time, we continued to meet weekly for a coffee or a flick. Last Wednesday I arranged to meet him after my dialysis with the intention of seeing a flick at a nearby movie house. He didn't turn up and I assumed that, my being a bit late off dialysis, he had gone on. I left a message on his cell-phone and home phone but he did not reply and I phoned every day for a week with no reply. Yesterday, I did get a reply - from his brother. My friend had died suddenly on Monday. He was only 43 years old. Truly, it has been said: "We know not the day or the hour. In the midst of life we are in death. Nature giveth and Nature taketh away"

But I must admit that I seldom give a moments thought to the progress of my various medical problems but I suppose that's an age thing. When one survives to the doorstep of one's octogenarianity in a world where people can die so suddenly and so young, one just accepts the futurej, with whatever it holds, with comparative equanimity.
Sueleic

Post by Sueleic »

HI Amanda
I am so sorry to hear about your friend and 44 is no age
But from my own experiences you are so right you just never know what the day may bring I try to understand a little more each day of what life is teaching us along our paths, and I try and use my late husbands illnesses as a teaching tool or other wise I feel it would all have been in vain.
As no doubt you will, try and give your friend’s wife some comfort and support as and when she needs it
Take care Amanda
Love
Sue
In the UK
Xx
Rik

Post by Rik »

Sorry to hear of your friends early departure Amanda ...
life can be crap at times ...
but I am glad that you are going to treat each day as a new page and enjoy it ... you never know whats overleaf till you get there!!!!
:0)XXX
Elaine

Amanda - so sorry to hear u sad news :(

Post by Elaine »

Amanda so very sorry to read u sad post about losing a friend so suddenly. :cry: Yeh sadly we just dont know wots round the corner. :(

Losing my own dad who I was sooo close to died very young last year made me put life into a bit more perspective and as many have said live for today... as best we can...with help and support of famaily, friends etc.

I know its a thing to say but there is always someone worse off than ourselves especially when you have hope etc.

Thinking of you at this very difficuilt time and remember and enjoy happy memories of your friend if possible. :wink:

best wishes Elaine Uk
LadySycamore

Post by LadySycamore »

Hello Amanda.

My condolences on your loss. To put it quite plainly, life sucks sometimes. Not trying to be flippant, but brutally honest. I too am concerned about what my future holds for me and dealing with renal failure in some capacity (either life long dialysis or transplant issues). I don't dwell on it too hard, but the thought does cross my mind and I think, "What's next for me?" I basically live week to week: On Sunday, I look at my planner and see what's coming up in the week ahead, and just do the best I can to get through it. And, really that's all we can do is the best we can under the circumstances.

Peace and Blessings.
Dialyze.org:
http://dialyze.org/forums/index.php
Chatroom, Support, Advocacy and more!

Dialyze.org MemberGroup on MSN:
http://groups.msn.com/Dialyze-orgMember ... sages.msnw